Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

help with a fractional- insufficient ink or just fading?

Looks like a decent fiber paper Fr 1320 in nice shape. Notice the back is missing much of its red color, but the bronzing is still nice and rather sharp. I wont have better scans for a week, so this is all I have to go on.

Any guesses? So is it an error or just fading? Insufficient ink? OR maybe ink loss from an offset ink transfer? (I do have a GORGEOUS offset on the front of one of these redbacks). If it was in worse shape I would think it just faded, but this one seems nice. Check out those fibers, too.

Comments

• Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    I'm going with faded.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going with chemically altered.
  • Options
    dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tomtomtomtom

I'm going with chemically altered.

I think so too. The bronzing doesn't appear to be even on the front either.

I would not consider it an error note.
  • Options
    SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    Fr. 1320 with serious issues.
    To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • Options
    UPDATE

When it arrived, I noticed it had glue or something in two large spots (only visible on the front though). Look at the "50"s on the front. Im guessing this has something to do with the missing ink. If true= chemically altered. Maybe the red ink seeped out with the help of the adhesive. It arrived in a stamp? flip with black backing.

I dont usually return purchases, but after pointing out the hidden glue spots, the seller accepted the request for a return. No problem. Ill keep looking and having fun.

Here are some better scans.

• Options
    SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    So it's a Fr. 1320 that was glued on the front with faded red inks on the back due to prolonged light exposure.

If you take away the problems this is actually a really nice Fr. 1320.
    To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mp3j
    UPDATE

When it arrived, I noticed it had glue or something in two large spots (only visible on the front though). Look at the "50"s on the front. Im guessing this has something to do with the missing ink. If true= chemically altered. Maybe the red ink seeped out with the help of the adhesive. It arrived in a stamp? flip with black backing.

I dont usually return purchases, but after pointing out the hidden glue spots, the seller accepted the request for a return. No problem. Ill keep looking and having fun.

Remember that the fiber paper is actually 2 layers of thin
    paper with fibers sandwiched between them. You can separate the layers quite easily (actually why they were a failure in circulation). I believe that the back was chemically treated and then reglued...that's what the 2 glue marks seem to be....good move sending it back...as Slasher said...if it were not for these issues, the 1320 would be quite nice image