Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why would anyone buy this 1952 Mantle?

It's already over $400, came back from PSA as questionable and looks like a train wreck. There are a lot of nice real Mantles (not '52 Topps) you can get for $400.

Text
Daniel

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually I would applaud someone buying a 52T Mantle in any condition, but I wouldn't call that a 52T Mantle. It has all of the telltale signs of being doctored to poor condition to try and make someone believe it is authentic.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I probably wouldn't buy anything from that seller based on their feedback.

But definitely agree, very silly to buy a card that's had the authenticity questioned by a tpg.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    PSA needs to stop giving questionable authenticity flips out. Surprised they still do it.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Isn't that the rare Dom Dimaggio variation??
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5
    PSA needs to stop giving questionable authenticity flips out. Surprised they still do it.

Just curious, why?
    Would there be a better solution?
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrNearMint

Just curious, why?

If I am not mistaken, when PSA/DNA returns a card of questionable authenticity a label is affixed to the CS1. Maybe the same can be done here instead of the front and back of a flip?
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

^^^^^ THIS
    Needs to say "fake"
  • Options
    $640ish. Unbelievable. Funny the amount of damage everywhere except the name plate. Hmmm. Not quite uniform. I still can't believe this sale is legit.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it is the one Bob Costas kept in his wallet for all those years
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    I quit hanging out with heavy collectors after all my furniture got broken.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    There is one born every minute.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Nice centering though.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: maddux69

Originally posted by: MrNearMint

Just curious, why?

If I am not mistaken, when PSA/DNA returns a card of questionable authenticity a label is affixed to the CS1. Maybe the same can be done here instead of the front and back of a flip?

Because the flip, ironically, gives some authenticity to the item. "Questionable Authenticity" means that it could be authentic and that PSA can't make the determination. PSA should say something definitive like "Fake" or "Not Authentic" et cetera, but even better they should not give flips out to cards they can't authenticate. Think about it. Send in a counterfeit Mantle, get the flip, put both on eBay and you will get people willing to take the gamble with PSA's name attached to it. This happens quite regularly.

I've seen auctions where the flip is attached to the cardsaver, doesn't stop people from selling and others from bidding and losing money.