Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Information on Large Size Silver Certificates

If I wanted to learn more before investing in Large size silvers where would be the best place for me to learn? Books, internet sites, etc.

Thanks
Collecting large size silver certificates - series 1899 - currently seeking FR231, FR254, & FR276

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    The more sources of information the better. Check recent auction prices on Heritage so you will have a rough idea of what stuff is selling for. Investing is another aspect. There are no guarantees that notes you buy will appreciate in value over time. Buy what you enjoy and you may get lucky, you may not.

edited (sp)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DW62

If I wanted to learn more before investing in Large size silvers where would be the best place for me to learn? Books, internet sites, etc.

Thanks

Well, I would start with a Friedberg catalog and get an idea of the different types of Large Size Silver Certificates. I've never counted so I'll plead ignorance. Make a list of the Friedberg numbers and then begin your search through Heritage, Lyn Knight, Stacks, and other archives to begin putting together a plan and a budget.

Find the KEY notes of each type or series and begin to watch for them.

Wishing you much good luck and success. A challenge for sure. Oh, and as the TookyBandit said investing is a no guarantee deal.

Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    underbidderunderbidder Posts: 25 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you are a coin guy by your terminology. So I'll give a little different advice than other people here.

There are basically 5 times of large size silvers. 1886 Marthas, 1891 Marthas, 1896 Educationals, 1899 Black eagles, and 1923's.

1923's are brutally common. Fr 239 is the key, and it has had a huge bubble that burst in 2008. I would avoid these.

1899 Black Eagles has two keys. The 229a and the 231. The 226a and he 229a are fairly recent, so the census has a lot of 226a's and 229a's recorded as their non-a varieties. I would not think about these. Fr 231 is the best Fr# to the series. It is very tough to get in unc.

1896 Educationals are not in favor right now. They have a lot of variance. Then they market is hot they go up more than other stuff. When the market is cool they go down more. You are gambling on the direction of the market when you buy them. THey are not tough to get.

1891 Marthas are type notes. The Fr 222 may be a relative sleeper as there are 4 223's to each 222.

In 1886 Marthas people often care about how cool each seal is. The dark brown seal is the most popular. The 215 with the small round seal is the most common. But look at the relative populations in PCGS or PMG. And look at heritage auctions.

Buy PPQ/EPQ if possible, and know that 40-58 are the most liquid grades.

Now that I look at my inventory at Action Currency, I don't think I have the perfect investment pieces for you. Some are better than others, but it depends on how much you want in each note and how perfect an investment piece you want. If you want to get a ton of notes, you can't wait for the perfect one each time.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." Henry David Thoreau
    twitter: @ActionCurrency
    web: www.actioncurrency.com
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit
    The more sources of information the better. Check recent auction prices on Heritage so you will have a rough idea of what stuff is selling for. Investing is another aspect. There are no guarantees that notes you buy will appreciate in value over time. Buy want you enjoy and you may get lucky, you may not.

• Options
    There is so much great information here it's incredible!

Colonial and Continental Currency Collector.

• Options
    And just to expand on my earlier post: PATIENCE is an essential key to your success. Don't just jump at a first opportunity (unless it's for an extremely rare note).

The more study and research and study you do the better you'll be in the long run. And if at all possible find a source that you TRUST.

We all wish you much success and good luck.

Oh, forgive my manners: image strap yourself in and enjoy the ride to adventure.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    Thanks Guys I greatly appreciate your input. I was collecting Silver Eagle coins but have gotten board with them and have sold most of them now I would like to switch to currency.
    Collecting large size silver certificates - series 1899 - currently seeking FR231, FR254, & FR276
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Join PCGS and get submittal rights along with the very important population reports which will be an invaluable guide in your collecting