Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My VERY exciting newp!!!

I ordered it a few days ago via Amazon, and expecting it to arrive Monday. Arrived today!!! Thanks to OriginalDan for suggesting that I get this:

scale (200x.01 grams), 200 + 100 gram calibration weights, and a scale calibration weight kit (1 by 50g, 2 by 20g, 1 by 10g, 1 by 5g, 1 by 2g, 1 by 1g).

Everything by American Weigh Scales.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, should be able to have hours of fun weighing ancients with that!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or Anglo-Saxon hammered pieces, or just about any coin that I don't intend to slab (like my four Italian States double crown pieces). I'm having a problem getting the scale to be calibrated enough (to the 1/100g), but that is to be expected for my model (with an acceptable tolerance rating of 0.02g). I wanted a scale that can handle up to a 6-taler as well as down to a teeny tiny sceat. But, there is no single device to handle that that well, so I settled for a 200x.01g range in a single device knowing that I'd have to weigh my sceattas and pennies more than once (per coin) and see if the value converges. (I didn't want two separate devices.)

• Options
    My first results, from my five raw 2T-sized silver pieces: 68.58 (30 Tari, Sicily), 68.17 (30 Tari, Sicily), 77.51 (2 Scudi, Genoa), 76.46 (2 Scudi, Genoa), 50.83 (2 Taler, Basel). Four of the five are AU or better. The fifth (the heaviest of the group) is ChEF. So much for consistency, huh!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A serious numismatist will eventually need to compute specific gravity at some point. One needs to make sure their scale has a means of attaching a specific gravity kit (often a hook for suspending the weighed object below the weigh pan).

Secondly, the most important component in any electronic scale is the weigh transducer. Most Chinese scales (actually, all I have seen) scrimp in this area.

Just because a scale can display to 0.01 doesn't mean it's accurate to that. (Remember "significant digits" in school?)

For home use, a good American or German-made scale is best and can be had for $300-400 (less than one good coin). For show use, a portable Japanese jewelry scale (Tanita) can be had for around $100.

• Options
    Pruebas - too complicated, too expensive. My entire set cost less than $60.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pruebas

A serious numismatist will eventually need to compute specific gravity at some point. One needs to make sure their scale has a means of attaching a specific gravity kit (often a hook for suspending the weighed object below the weigh pan).

Secondly, the most important component in any electronic scale is the weigh transducer. Most Chinese scales (actually, all I have seen) scrimp in this area.

Just because a scale can display to 0.01 doesn't mean it's accurate to that. (Remember "significant digits" in school?)

For home use, a good American or German-made scale is best and can be had for $300-400 (less than one good coin). For show use, a portable Japanese jewelry scale (Tanita) can be had for around $100.

My $50 Chinese made scale is plenty accurate for what I need it for. And, I do trust it is accurate to 0.01 grams. Copper USA cents weigh 3.11 grams consistently. Zincolns weigh 2.50 grams. There are enough modern coins with known and very low variance weights, that one can be quite certain if they are getting accurate measurements or not.

Nice new scale and goodies EVP.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a balanced beam and digital scale with 2 brass calibration weights...

Not sure why you would need that complete set of different weights for calibration of a quality digital scale?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Broadstruck - this is my first exposure to this type of stuff. I didn't know I wouldn't need, yet at least, that calibration kit. And it wasn't expensive, so I didn't spend too much of my limited time researching everything too much.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: EVillageProwler

Broadstruck - this is my first exposure to this type of stuff. I didn't know I wouldn't need, yet at least, that calibration kit. And it wasn't expensive, so I didn't spend too much of my limited time researching everything too much.

Good to hear they weren't expensive as once your scale is calibrated unless you travel with it or change batteries you'll never need them.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember the old triple beam scales from your High School days?(Assuming you are close to my age image ) I have been using 1 for years and am quite pleased with it. Weighs up to 2610 grams. Very accurate, easy to calibrate, and easy to extrapolate down to nearly 1/100 of a gram.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin
    Remember the old triple beam scales from your High School days?(Assuming you are close to my age image ) I have been using 1 for years and am quite pleased with it. Weighs up to 2610 grams. Very accurate, easy to calibrate, and easy to extrapolate down to nearly 1/100 of a gram.

Do you mean this? That's too big and heavy. Mine is portable, useful for my more illicit activities. image

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Nice set!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: EVillageProwler

Do you mean this? That's too big and heavy. Mine is portable, useful for my more illicit activities. image

It all makes sense now. I was so puzzled when you said you needed a scale for your "dimes". image
  • Options
    OD: I have no idea what you're talking about. image

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a nice scale. Speaking of Ohaus triple beam one - that's what I use for specific gravity.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

imagehttps://www.sks-science.com/images/OHAU-1650W0LRG.jpg">

Good comeback! image Mine is like that but older. Has a slide instead of the dial for grams.

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    I use the same scale as my portable scale at shows. Properly calibrated I've found it to be reasonably accurate (within the calibrated range) and quite reliable. It should serve you well. I do use a more expensive scale for SG, primarily due to the size of the pan.