Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS 30th Anniversary and the White Label PCGS Rattler!

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
As you may already know, February 3, 2016 will be the exact 30th Anniversary of the beginning of PCGS.

It seems to be that the first version of the PCGS holder was the scarce white label rattler holder. Some collectors believe the white label rattler is a myth and that it's just a faded green label, but that is certainly not the case.

Five years ago, PCGS had a couple of these on display for their 25th Anniversary and Charmy had a photo in her February 2011 show report which I have copied below:

Still, five years later, little seems to be known about these holders. How many were produced? How long were they issued before the more common green label rattler became the standard?

I am not able to answer those questions, but I can help by showing some photos of one of the first PCGS certified coins.

To show the difference between that earlier white label and the regular green label rattlers, take a look at the following photos:

The reverse of the labels are nearly the same, but the lettering of the company name on the reverse of the white label holder is white, while the lettering on the reverse of the green label holder is green. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a great shot of that as the difference is very subtle.

Not only is the color of the label different, but the lettering appears to have been printed with different printers. The text of the white label rattler appears to have characters which are 7 dots in height, while the green label rattler appears to have characters which are 9 dots in height as shown below:

All examples I have seen have a certification number starting with 108XXXX. However, I have also seen many green label rattler coins on the market with 108XXXX certification numbers as well.

Anyone else have examples they can share and/or other information about these holders which were the very first issued by PCGS 30 years ago?

Finally, I will have this coin on display at my table at the upcoming Long Beach Coin Expo (February 4-6, 2016) for anyone who would like to see one of these in person. See you then!

Comments

• OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Not usually interested in this stuff but this is pretty cool. Wish I could stop by to check it out but not making it up the LB this time. Thanks for sharing though!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool. Thanks for posting.
    Looks like they invested in a better dot matrix printer.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2019 5:37PM
    Dang it Mike - these are supposed to be kept a secret! image

If you look at the second picture of the green rattler, you can see subtle lines running horizontally through the insert. That is a good clue if you're looking at a listing with a bad picture.

I asked Van Simmons last year the history of the white rattler. He said it was a mistake - the printer delivered the wrong labels and they used them for a week until the intended green labels arrived.

Hard to know what the premium should be - lower for common Morgans, Mercs, etc and higher for scarcer type coins.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, now I need to have one of these too! (sarc)

This is pretty cool stuff, I just wish that I could see the display in person.

My question is, and pardon me if these has been announced elsewhere. What was the FIRST coin graded and encapsulated by PCGS and where is it now?

Cert # 01080002 is a 1860 10C PR64.

Cert # 01080001 is not listed
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    An interesting history lesson.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman

I asked Van Simmons last year the history of the white rattler. He said it was a mistake - the printer delivered the wrong labels and they used them for a week until the intended green labels arrived.

So the labels were error labels but since they were used in an intended fashion, it seems these would still be a non-error variety.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting. thanks for sharing image
  • valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    I've seen/heard of a few dozen, they're a little more common than I initially thought when I found my first. Decided not to chase the plastic in Tampa, as the coin was too much of a dog in hand. Congrats on snagging a white label.

You'll notice a difference between the 1080 and 1081/2 serial number, seems two printers used in tandem leading to the different number styles and the location of the text at bottom vs. top of the label. Not worthy of a new generation, but just a side note.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it wrong that I get some kind of warm, comforting feeling from dot matrix printer text??

It harkens back to the day when I actually understood how computers worked. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was one of the original 31 Dealers invited by David back in 1986.

Can't believe it's been 30 years!

Only took about 14-15 years for them to certify mechanical Mint Error Coins;

What an impact that had on the error coin collecting hobby.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
    edited February 21, 2019 3:10PM
    Man, these are going to get hard to cherry pick!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: valente151

You'll notice a difference between the 1080 and 1081/2 serial number, seems two printers used in tandem leading to the different number styles and the location of the text at bottom vs. top of the label. Not worthy of a new generation, but just a side note.

Seems much more likely that PCGS invested in a new printer with better resolution at some point than for them to use two different printers of different quality together. If we further assume that the certification numbers starting with 108xxxxx were issued sequentially at that time by PCGS, from the examples posted here in this thread it looks like that new and better printer would have been put in place sometime between cert. no. 1080805 and cert no. 1081045.

Some neat examples posted, very cool! Thanks for sharing them!

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC - and it's been a long time - one of the printer manufacturers (OkiData???) made a big deal of having a 9 pin print head with overlapping dots vs. the typical 7 pin.

OK, I think it was DUAL 9 pins, as at this link:

Google Books link

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
    Seems much more likely that PCGS invested in a new printer with better resolution at some point than for them to use two different printers of different quality together.

I'm not so sure - this was a fledgling organization unsure of what the future held, not the mature PCGS we think of today.

Even later, it's hard to explain Doily labels that fall into generations 2, 3 and 3.5 - I suspect that different computers/printers and labels go a long way towards explaining that.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool labels
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool---Thanks for sharing!!

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: illini420
    Originally posted by: valente151

Seems much more likely that PCGS invested in a new printer with better resolution at some point than for them to use two different printers of different quality together. If we further assume that the certification numbers starting with 108xxxxx were issued sequentially at that time by PCGS, from the examples posted here in this thread it looks like that new and better printer would have been put in place sometime between cert. no. 1080805 and cert no. 1081045.

Some neat examples posted, very cool! Thanks for sharing them!

Too coincidental that all the 1080...s have one print setup and the 1081/2...s I've seen have a different one. Seems they had two printers, one starting at 1080 and the other at 1081. The end of the day though, silly conversation over printers.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely informative. Thanks to the OP and all who shared!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok wth.

no white label rattler census thread? image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Might be hard to start a census thread - most have been hoping to keep this below the radar and likely won't report. image
  • bob48bob48 Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed. Thanks
    Bob

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be hard to start a census thread - most have been hoping to keep this below the radar and likely won't report. image

we've been discussing these here for years.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    I want one of these!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
    we've been discussing these here for years

Yep - I've been here for years.

But things slip to page 2 quickly and it takes a while for these things to gain traction/momentum.

For example, how often do you see "white rattler" in the title of an auction??
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know why the earliest serial starts 108..... ?

Just curious.

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SeattleSlammer

Just curious.

I'm not an expert on this, but it seems to be approximately where the David Hall flips left off. That is just my observation and I could be wrong.
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
    I'm not an expert on this, but it seems to be approximately where the David Hall flips left off. That is just my observation and I could be wrong.

Interesting guess and you may be right.

Went through my photo files of the 60 or so flips I own and several have a 7 digit serial number starting 104... , 105...., 107.......

But - one has a 8 digit serial number starting 300.........

Based on earlier posts on this subject, I don't think Dave remembers. image
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Proofmorgan

Sweet.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is this going to be The White Cowboy hat of PCGS vs the NGC black cowboy hat routine????
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CuKevin

Just curious.

That's a good guess. PCGS does not, however, number their labels linearly. That way it is far more difficult to determine when a coin was graded (within the same holder generation, of course).

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Interesting guess and you may be right.

Went through my photo files of the 60 or so flips I own and several have a 7 digit serial number starting 104... , 105...., 107.......

But - one has a 8 digit serial number starting 300.........

Based on earlier posts on this subject, I don't think Dave remembers. image

Seems like a pretty good story to me. True, they issue (somewhat) random cert numbers now... but when you're starting a new company you have to start somewhere and I would be very surprised if that starting cert number was totally random.
  • 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to buy one... please PM if you have one for sale or trade.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: astrorat
    Originally posted by: CuKevin

Just curious.

That's a good guess. PCGS does not, however, number their labels linearly. That way it is far more difficult to determine when a coin was graded (within the same holder generation, of course).

PCGS USED TO number their labels linearly. All rattlers were linearly labeled.
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff...thanks!

K
    ANA LM
    PCGS USED TO number their labels linearly. All rattlers were linearly labeled.

The numbers are still linear, but not always consecutive. image

I have 5 Doilies with consecutive numbers, all MS65 Buffaloes, so it wasn't just the rattler era.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go PCGS and congrats on "longevity" in the market place.
    Today, February 3 is the day... the 30th Anniversary of PCGS!! Congrats!!!!!!!

Also the first day of the Long Beach show today (for dealers, early birds and registry members who got the free invite). Again, will have this neat coin, one of the very first graded by PCGS 30 years ago, at my table all show image See you there at Table #448!
    Sure would love to be there this week and finally have a chance to meet!

Be sure to check out the PCGS sample display. image
  • I wanted to bring this thread back into the mix and will add the white rattlers that are noted in this thread

Howard
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I want one! image
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I am a "stick in the mud"....but I still don't like them and have them reholdered whenever I happen to buy a coin in the rattler holder.
  • When coins are reholdered, does PCGS assign a new number and remove the old holder # from the certification search engine?
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: hle04

When coins are reholdered, does PCGS assign a new number and remove the old holder # from the certification search engine?

No. If you have an older holder reholdered and it has a seven digit s/n, a zero is added to the front to make it an eight digit s/n.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 16d regraded, new cert no. assigned, old cert no. not valid anymore, but it was newer 8 digit.

[URL=http://s944.photobucket.com/us...3_zpscnsilhjc.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s944.photobucket.com/user/psanders70gt/media/20160929_081808_zpskulc52ag.jpg.html]image[/URL]

And the new cert no.Is lower than the old one.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice thread on the 108* holders...

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Purchased what I think is the latest # known white rattler, 1.1 - - 1082378 - pictures once it arrives.

It makes sense that the 1.1 would overlap with the 1.2 - from what I know about PCGS, it didn't bother them to use up old stock while new stock was being used as well - either paper or plastic.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread, thanks for sharing...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file