Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

coins or plastic

As collectors we all say that we buy the coin not the holder. (I hope) I know that in my collection I believe this to be true. Since my collection is all about toned coins that is what catches my eye. Toning and luster, if it is raw ,Icg, PCGS, NGC, ANACS who cares, I for one do not.

This being said who out there thinks that grading companys look at the holder before the coin. I have in my collection an 1882-s a sure 65. It was in a ICG holder, I sent it in to cross at any grade to PCGS and came back 64. Broke it out and sent it in again raw and it came back 65 wow!!!

I have 13 coins in at PCGS to cross at egual or better. 7 are inICG and 6 are ANACS. Most forum members said that all the ICG will come back not graded, and at best two of the anacs will cross. Are they grading the coin or looking at the holders. I am really tempted to send in a border line 65 with some of my 65"s in ICG or Anacs that are at least marginally better to much better than the border line 65. This opinion is shared by myself and a dealer who I buy some coins from and another dealer from a large firm who I have befriended that these coins are egual to or better.

Is it a waste of time and money to try crossing coins? The more I am a member of this forum, I only care about the coins. I am starting to feel it was a big mistake to send those coins in. Thinking why I did it led me to realize it was only done to enhanch my postion on the registry. This made me realize I was taken in by great marketing. These will be the last coins I ever try to cross.

Any thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your 1882-S example should answer your question about it being a waste of time playing the cross-over game.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey,

dbldie55, what is the name of your Liberty Nickel set? I have always liked the V-nickel and am thinking about starting a registry set. I have a ChAu/UNC set. Some would 63 some even 64. I have them in a capital plastic holder. Where do you have the best luck finding nice V-nickel's?

Jon
  • Options
    GQGQ Posts: 360
    Toneddollars......It is easy to get caught up in the registry because we finally have a place to BS with other collectors and showcase our collections.......large or small. I like the PCGS registry and have no problem with the set up. The rules and deductions are straight forward. You must have PCGS coins in the listings so you have to buy and/or submit coins to PCGS. Oh well.........I'm having fun.......I've spend so much money on crap in the last 40 years that buying/crossing over to PCGS really isn't a bad thing.....

Gary

NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭