Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Have PSA grading standards become tougher?

An ebay listing says they have.

Is it more difficult for a card to receive a PSA 10?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JWBlue

I don't always believe everything I read on eBay. Magic 8 ball told me not to.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I would say yes, but MY Magic 8 ball said "Reply hazy try again."
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    It's difficult to make a blanket statement. It could be tougher if you happen to get a different grader that day. Grading is subjective.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: UncleTwoPillow
    Originally posted by: JWBlue

I don't always believe everything I read on eBay. Magic 8 ball told me not to.

I wouldn't always believe everything the magic 8 ball says. The guy on the street corner told me that.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think standards have toughened for certain issues, notably 1971 and 1975 baseball. That's the only way I can explain so many old flip cards on eBay that look so much worse than so many new flip cards I get back in submissions with lower grades.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it really "Depends", Is the answer.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    I have organized several group subs over the last several years and the submitted 1975s are sure graded tough. I have seen some amazing 7s.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With 1971 and 1975 (two issues without white borders) PSA seems to have decided that any trace of white at a corner constitutes wear, and thus cards that would be 9s for any white bordered issue are suddenly 7s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    75s have always been graded tough, though I will say that they seem to be a bit stricter with centering these days. Overall, though, threads like these tend to pop every so often going all the way back to when I first joined in 2006, so if the grading hasn't gotten any tougher, the perception that it is has always been the case.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grading can be inconsistent, as people are all different. PSA has the reputation of being the toughest grading company and I would generally agree. 71's and 75's that I have submitted seem to get graded tougher than cards with white borders, but I have seen some on ebay that look uvergraded as well.

In the 20 years since I started collecting, I would say PSA is tougher than in the past, but that is a good thing. Frustrating at times though!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on my recent subs, I would say easier, tougher or the same depending on the submission in question. As others said, it all depends on which grader you get.