Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Is there hope for paper ripples?

I recently came across an online dealer with a wide range of interesting obsolete notes. The hitch is that many notes in his stock have some significant paper rippling. I'll attach one scan of the back of a representative note.

I think this kind of damage is caused by water or moisture. I know enough not to try to iron away this issue. My question is, is it there a way to minimize it without creating additional damage? Could a note be cautiously rewetted, then layed flat or compressed to "dry out" the wrinkles? Would this have an effect on the signature ink?
[S=Wrinkled note]

[Not sure why I can't get this image to post on the thread]
Intrigued by all things intaglio.

Comments

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Sorry can't help with displaying the image. Seems your URL is too long for this software.

Well, maybe not. It is just screwed up. It removes the URL when you try to post it.?????

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Picasa just hasn't been the same since Google took over. Let's see if it works this time ...
  • Options
    Anyone? Anyone? Usually there are a few paper experts on the forum willing to chime in.
  • Options
    problem may be the age of the paper and its durability... can it withstand being flattened out? not sure
  • Options
    It almost looks like the note got soaked, was placed on a flat surface(cookie sheet?) and then placed in an oven to dry, thus the crinkling. Just a guess; hmmm, think I'll try it. LOL
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed that all of the notes from this Ebay seller seem to have this wrinkling issue. They look like they all come from the same collection which was wet and improperly dried.

Yes, they can be remoistened and dried with light pressure applied. Use paper towel at first, then blotting paper while drying under a heavy book, changing paper several times.

The signatures will be fine. These notes were made to withstand getting wet. Banks and merchants had the good sense to sign with non water soluble inks. Paper should be fine, too. Remember, it's not paper, it's linen (rags).
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    I ordered an inexpensive bank check from him today, with the same wrinkling issue. I'll experiment with that. Not India paper, but it's a good place to start.
  • Options
    The check arrived today and I immediately went to work. Admittedly, this one is less wrinkled than the banknote example I posted earlier, but in need of some TLC. I misted both sided with a spritzer bottle until it was thoroughly damp, then blotted the excess moisture gently with a paper towel. That flattened it out considerably. Then I pressed it inside a heavy book with a weight on top for several hours -- and viola! Huge difference in appearance. You can still see some evidence of the original ripples but probably only if you knew to look for it. And, indeed, the ink from the signatures and the rubber stamps held without running or smudging (the color values are a little different between the images, but they look the same in hand).

This gives me a lot of hope that a similarly wrinkled obsolete note could be significantly improved in presentability!

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Very well done indeed! Looks super.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job.

It's all in the drying. I have found that blot drying with a paper towel first, then absorbent paper under a book next works best. But be sure to change the paper every few minutes two or three times until the moisture from the note no longer wrinkles the drying paper. Then it's dry enough to leave under the book for several hours.

The paper on checks like this can be harder to work with than most obsolete notes because it's not always linen. Paper made from wood pulp is less forgiving and more like to be brittle.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Nice job looks good. Still has issues, but significantly less than when you first got it. Maybe with more time under a book even less of the wrinkles would be noticeable.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

That is a drastic improvement! Thank you for sharing your results and to all for sharing your methods....
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, sweet !!! :-)
    Timbuk3