Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Why Currency Buyers Drink

We all have seen the thread about why currency dealers drink. What makes you as a currency BUYER drink?
This is gonna be a good thread!
PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    WCBD ...because it's a good way to unwind after a long day of walking the bourse hunting for notes! image
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't drink alcohol,never did.That stated,My wife and I enjoyed a"girly" drink while at the show in Tampa....It was sweet and weak(as alcoholic drinks go).My answer to your query is....Tampa!
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm....

1) "1957 BLUE SEAL dollar bill - RAAAAAAAARRRRREEEE"

2) "This 1792 French assignat 5 livres note is really old, so it is worth a lot of money" (yeah, about $5 in good condition).

3) That guy in the corner of the room who keeps bidding you up just because.

4) 1951 Bulgarian 3 leva note graded an UNC67. "Top pop of only 4 graded by all grading companies!" Asks $200 for a $2 note.

etc., etc., etc.
    Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    At a show in STL: yeah I got a lot of those those you asked about, but I left my MO and IL nationals at home. I did bring NY, PA and Ohio tho...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    When you need one note to complete a block set and that note has a book value, choice, is $75. Then the ONLY seller you've ever seen offering it wants hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    Originally posted by: boimre1972
    When you need one note to complete a block set and that note has a book value, choice, is $75. Then the ONLY seller you've ever seen offering it wants hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

This happens all the time. Chances are the demand for this note is extremely low (just you). But, that dealers gonna get their money, dammit.
  • Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: awillis
    Originally posted by: boimre1972

This happens all the time. Chances are the demand for this note is extremely low (just you). But, that dealers gonna get their money, dammit.

Yes, and they have at times.
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    Why drink? How about when you're chasing too much in a Heritage auction and wake up the next day to see the high end of your limits won the bids... And then you see the fat premium added. And then when the invoice is generated, all those taxes and the shipping... And then you see that a duplicate of that very rare note you won show up on another auction site a month later... And it sells for 2/3 of the price...

Or when you see a rare obsolete come up on eBay and pay a premium for it, only to see the same seller has another one next week and another the week after... And you feel like you should buy all three to justify the high price you paid for the first one.

My website: RICurrency.com
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    1) Auctions companies whose minimum bid is a percentage of the low estimate and the low estimate is WAY over market value. Anyone notice how many notes in the FUN auction either sold for minimum bid or did not sale?

2) You have a set listed in the registry. Consequently, everyone knows what you need. The good news is that you get notes offered that you might not ever see. The bad news is they know that you need them and they have doubled their price.

3) Your a huge fan of Abraham Lincoln and decide that you're main pursuit will be five dollar bills. You later find out that everyone is a fan of Lincoln. Lot's of collectors = lots of demand = higher prices.

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    You collect SC's, and every time you consider starting a registry set you see Kraig's signature, with all those damned yellow and blue stars and years. image
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    The food on the Bourse at paper money shows.
    The saavy FUN show attendee seemed to bring their own...
  • Options
    When you bid on an auction and the reserve doesn't get reached. When you e-mail the seller to find out the reserve, he tells you the reserve is outrageously high so that he can use the info to set a "buy it now" price when he re-lists it!
  • Options
    1. When you see a clear shill bidding on a note you really want.
    2. When a seller cancels a very good deal on you on Ebay.
    Thing that occurred before I started to use sniping service:
    3. When the internet died second before the end of the auction so I could not bid.
    4. When the end of the auction is at 3 am.
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    uzuiwekuzuiwek Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    Haven't had to worry about it for a while, but... when a note you want comes up for bid and paddle #13 goes up.
    SPMC LM #405 - Collector of Ohio obsoletes. And other stuff, that I'm not going to tell you, so you don't buy it before I do.
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Or when you see a rare obsolete come up on eBay and pay a premium for it, only to see the same seller has another one next week and another the week after... And you feel like you should buy all three to justify the high price you paid for the first one.

Been There, will drink to that.

When you have notes you bought from older Lyn Knight Auctions with undisclosed issues on the reverse, and you were too slow to return or fight about it.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    image with most of the instances here; and a good stiff cup of cafe au lait sort of washes the disappointment and other feelings away.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    Just saved myself a bottle of vodka. Something told me that there will be a last seconds fight on a rare Martinique note that surface for sale once in 3-4 years at the most, so I increased my snipe bid for another 100$. And I got it 50$ less from my new maximum bid...
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.