Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Look what the Postman Just Delivered - New Addition/Upgrade

Well, yesterday was a pretty good day !!

Just received the following Upgrade to my $5 LT Collections. I have owned a PMG GEM66 EPQ (Don't laugh, January 2009 - A TELETRADE Note). Just never found an upgrade that I liked in either a PCGS, PMG holder or RAW until now.

This note is pretty common in GEM66 and below but not in GEM67, as there are (5) at PMG and (3) at PCGS and who knows if someone crossed any of them. Too say the least, she's a toughie in 67.

I will post the Duplicate GEM66 on the BST board shortly if anyone needs a note for their collections.

Enjoy a really cool note for you early risers !!!!

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
President/CEO
The Rocks Collectables, LLC
TRC, LLC
jderocker003@gmail.com
SPMC Member - LIFETIME
EBAY - TRC, LLC

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice upgrade John. Keep 'em coming.
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Nice note image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Superb note! Congrats Rock!
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful upgrade! image

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Awesome note!
    Congrats, John! imageimageimage
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice upgrade
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Sweet note Rock and I know how tough the EA block can be. Here's my best one which I thought is a very nice 66:

• Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    That's a SUPER nice note Larry. I would have said LOCK 67 all day long unless in hand there is some minor defect of paper handling as the Registration that I can see looks DEAD ON. That's a possible re-submission candidate IMO unless there is some paper quality issues !!

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    Thanks. Yes I thought the note could have been a 67 as well. But happy to have it regardless as it is a toughie.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice note.
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    And another nice looking note!!! image

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TheRock

That's a SUPER nice note Larry. I would have said LOCK 67 all day long unless in hand there is some minor defect of paper handling as the Registration that I can see looks DEAD ON. That's a possible re-submission candidate IMO unless there is some paper quality issues !!

After this thread I decided to try and maximize value on my note by taking the chance at sending to PMG for their opinion. As we all know there can be a tremendous price difference between a 66 and a 67 and especially on a tougher block where not a lot of 67's exist. Figured it wouldn't get any worse than another 66 and a 67 would be in play on this note. I would have rather had the note in a PCGS holder but sometimes it's all about value and decided I just had to go for it. This time it paid off. image

So you were right to re-submit John and I now join you in the exclusive PMG pop 5/0 club with this one. In comparison, the FA block on this series at PMG is 13/0 so the EA is clearly far superior.

• Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Larry- congrats on the cross upgrade. I think that it might have been a candidate for reconsideration as well.

• Options
    Nice upgrade.

Not ragging on PCGS, but I see TONS of their notes under graded, and end up crossing over to PMG at a higher grade (sometimes much higher).
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Lucky, something about your post doesn't make sense to me. "TONS" suggests a consistent pattern or practice. If a service were to consistently under-grade compared to a reputable, widely respected competitor, how would it be able to sustain its business? Wouldn't folks simply lose confidence and shift their business?

I think the two top grading services have somewhat different standards. Specifically what differences tend to result in notes crossing over and getting a higher or much higher grade (prior posts have indicated that this goes in both directions)? Are the standard differences based on differences in paper? embossing? centering? corner sharpness? color intensity? front/rear alignment?

I buy notes certified by both services. I do think PCGS places a higher value on centering, which I like. Overall, I think the success of both businesses suggests that their standards are pretty solid and their grading is pretty consistent.

• Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Nicer note Rock- Too bad about the off blue tint from the holder (I have to get that in every time image )

My experience has been that PCGS is much tougher on small size notes, especially the margins, and front to back alignment.

For me, and what I collect, sight unseen, I would buy the PCGS 66 over the PMG note.

Of course, I do not buy notes sight unseen, but when I look to upgrade the few sets I have where I am chasing numbers, I rarely see a PMG note that I would say is a lock to cross, let alone bump up, and if I do, it is almost never a PMG 65.

I have passed on many PMG 65s, that in my mind do not have the margin consistency for a 65.

PMG may have that characteristic mean more in the 65-66 delineation.

Just like in coins, it seems that the jump from 64-65 is huge when it comes to value/premium.

Just my observations from what I collect, chase, and have attempted to cross.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: HeywoodI have passed on many PMG 65s, that in my mind do not have the margin consistency for a 65.

I agree with you there. PMG can be inconsistent in the 64/65/66 range but if you're a seller, or plan on upgrading in the future and want to maximize value on your notes then PMG may be the best route for certain notes as even a one point difference in grade can mean a big difference in price. The average beginning collector out there will buy the holder and not necessarily the note so a 65 looks more appealing than a 64 even if it's slightly overgraded. Of course the more experienced collector's like us know better but the number is still the number that most people buy.

Also I prefer the PCGS holder for the clear (untinted) reason as well. PMG holders can also be warped when you buy them which is a big disappointment for me. Just in the past 2 months alone a number of dealers got new shipments back from PMG which were all badly warped. We got a batch of 100 that were awful in early February. I was probably the only one that complained about it. Thankfully the batch I got yesterday were nice and flat so hopefully they fixed their slabbing machine.

I collect both PCGS and PMG notes and feel that PCGS is the better grading company and is often tougher on notes but that's a good thing for the hobby. We want to make sure that notes we buy are properly graded and PCGS is the best at finding the flaws in my opinion. You can't try to slip something past them and hope they don't notice. lol I'm getting ready to send a batch to PCGS. There are some PMG 66 and 67 holdered notes that I now wish to cross the other way to PCGS holders. Not sure what will happen but I have to try.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larry510

Originally posted by: HeywoodI have passed on many PMG 65s, that in my mind do not have the margin consistency for a 65.

I agree with you there. PMG can be inconsistent in the 64/65 range but if you're a seller, or plan on upgrading in the future and want to maximize value on your notes then PMG may be the best route for certain notes as even a one point difference in grade can mean a big difference in price. The average beginning collector out there will buy the holder and not necessarily the note so a 65 looks more appealing than a 64. Of course the more experienced collector's like us know better but the number is still the number that most people buy.

Also I prefer the PCGS holder for the clear (untinted) reason as well. PMG holders can also be warped when you buy them which is a big disappointment for me. Just in the past 2 months alone a number of dealers got new shipments back from PMG which were all badly warped. We got a batch of 100 that were awful in early February. I was probably the only one that complained about it. Thankfully the batch I got yesterday were nice and flat so hopefully they fixed their slabbing machine.

I feel that PCGS is the better grading company and is often tougher on notes but that's a good thing for the hobby. We want to make sure that notes we buy are properly graded and PCGS is the best at finding the flaws in my opinion. You can't try to slip something past them and hope they don't notice. lol I'm getting ready to send a batch to PCGS. There are some PMG 66 and 67 holdered notes that I now wish to cross the other way to PCGS holders. Not sure what will happen but I have to try.

+1

• Options
    I am speaking from personal experience. I have seen a good deal of notes come back from PCGS as 55's and 58's, and cross over as UNC, which I knew the notes were all along.

I will say that PCGS has a better track record for consistency on Fines and VF's, as well as centering of notes. I have never downgraded an PCGS note for centering, but have done so more than once with PMG notes.