Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

New Addition - FUN 2016 Aquisition - Always Wanted One !!

Over the years, I have searched high and low for a $10,000 GOLD note with the Minneapolis, MN Bank on it and not the common Washington, DC Bank. I think over the past 5-6 years I can count on (1) hand how many I have seen one as I look for them always.

2-3 years ago I came across one and Shawn Hewitt beat me out of it. I vowed to find the next one and buy it.

Well, low and behold one comes up in the FUN action. Not only is it from the Minneapolis, MN Bank, but also a Fr. 1225g (Parker-Burke) note which according to most is a super rare note with less than 10 known and not the very common Fr. 1225h that there are over a hundred of them. Hell, even T&P shows only (2) g's and Martins census only shows (8) g's and this one is new to his census so I'm pretty proud to own this beauty !!

I had Jim Fitzgerald look at the note for me to make sure there was no Pin Holes, Small Rips or Tears and he confirmed the note was completely original.

I had to have it as the saying goes and I did end up winning it. It's 1 of 12 lots that I won but a "Super Special" one for me. Not being able to attend the show do to some health BS, I was scared it would escape so I tracked and bid on (2) separate computers at the same time to make sure that I was covered on my end.

Enjoy some really RARE "EYE CANDY" as this to me is one of the COOLEST notes I own !!!!

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
President/CEO
The Rocks Collectables, LLC
TRC, LLC
jderocker003@gmail.com
SPMC Member - LIFETIME
EBAY - TRC, LLC

Comments

• Options
    Stunning!! Awesome acquisition!! image
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg thats such a nice score, congrats image
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous example. The colors are strikingly vivid, congratulations!
  • Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    A rare piece of history, congratulations Rock!

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    That's a great looking note!
    My website: RICurrency.com
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    THAT IS A BEAUTY!!!!!! image

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty nice. Especially to have the MN FRB is a great fit for you. Congrats!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Super cool!
  • Options
    underbidderunderbidder Posts: 25 ✭✭✭
    That is a really neat note. I don't remember you in the room for Carson Chambliss's presentation on those at Memphis, but it was a really good talk.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." Henry David Thoreau
    twitter: @ActionCurrency
    web: www.actioncurrency.com
  • Options
    dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Rob, do you want tell John the story of this note, or shall I?
    * R. Shawn Hewitt
    * Enthusiast of Minnesota Notes
    * Researching non-star and pre-star replacement notes in the 1903-1920 era
    * Minnesota Paper Money
    -------------------------
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it best you lay it out.But thanks for the offer.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    Well, I can't find the archived posts regarding this note, but there are two. The first was either authored by Rob, or was a comment with image by Rob, as a cool purchase he made about three years ago. My opportunity for acquiring the note came almost exactly two years ago, when I spotted the note in his case at FUN 2014. As a long-time employee at the Minneapolis Fed, it was naturally appealing, but what also caught my interest was that the serial numbers were applied via paging machine instead of rotary press. I thought it may have been a non-star replacement, but I've since learned of other notes in the serial number range with the same type of numeral fonts, likely ruling out that possibility.

In November 2014, I posted the note again in order to commemorate the note's 100th birthday, coincident with the organization of the FRS.

As I recently made some large purchases of Minnesota obsoletes (my first love) in the fall Newman sale, something had to go to help finance them, and I consigned this note to Heritage.

It is indeed a very cool note, the only one I have seen made payable to FRB Minneapolis, and I know you will enjoy the note for years to come.

Congratulations, John!
    * R. Shawn Hewitt
    * Enthusiast of Minnesota Notes
    * Researching non-star and pre-star replacement notes in the 1903-1920 era
    * Minnesota Paper Money
    -------------------------
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done.The moral to the story,if I may add,is two fold. 1)Buy what you love...2)always check out Rob's table! Enjoy it Rock,I know I did.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

Rob and Shawn, thanks for the story behind the note.

How ironic that I end up with the very note that got me hooked on this series - LOL

What still has me puzzled though is the actual number of notes that exist with the Minneapolis FRB on them? I know that the (g) notes like this one refer to the signature combinations which puts it at the top of the list in terms of rarity but with only 8 in Martin's census, it does not state how many of the 8 are Washington, DC or Minneapolis, MN FRB's.

Does anyone know how many are Minneapolis FRB notes? I have only seen (2 or 3) I think which includes this one.

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    Love this Note!!
    Collecting Serial Numbers
    12345678 or 87654321
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: NorthTrek

Well, I can't find the archived posts regarding this note, but there are two. .....,

RoadkingUSA gets credit for finding one of the threads. Figured I'd put it in this post so it can be more quickly referenced.

10K Gold Note 100th Anniversary

I had done a couple simple searches ($10,000; Minneapolis; numbersman) before getting sidetracked. image
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot. Congratulations John.
  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Thanks again everyone.

I LOVE HER ALSO !!!!

Still trying to figure out the "TRUE" number of notes from the Minneapolis FRB ??? Nothing in this thread or the other thread or any census data discloses that yet other than it's "SUPER LOW" and maybe 2-3 notes total which is pretty damn RARE in my book.

Again, this series of notes if by far "NOT" up my alley or expertise but I had to have this one as she is so very cool and I really have no idea where to start looking for data other than through you guys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Awesome image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers