Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Something Ain't Right on this Obsolete

Happy New Year to everyone - trying to get the hang of this newfangled application....

Breaking down some items purchased over the past couple of months, and noted something not right with this note, SO.....

What's wrong with this note?

Jim Fitzgerald

Comments

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    The note was issued before the bank was chartered
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It started to move to Illinois but never completed the trip.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sellitstore

It started to move to Illinois but never completed the trip.

It started its trip from TN.

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The right side made it to IL. The left is still in TN and the middle is in no man's land.

Maybe the only such note extant.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
    Your note started with this Brownsville, TN note (TN-5-G6). Notice Brownsville at the center below the "TWO DOLLARS." Also notice the vertical stamp "Racine," probably from a clearing house. There are several other such stamps known. Such a stamp might have been chemically removed from your note after it went through the clearing house. Finally, the signatures are those of the TN bank.

Now, about 200 miles north of Brownsville is Marion, Il. This town also had a bank by the name of "The Agricultural Bank." Below is a spurious note (IL-465-S5) for this Bank.

Your note is a Haxby unlisted altered note from the TN to the IL bank. It might be unique. As Russell indicates, the town name of "Marion" has not yet been added.

Images courtesy of Heritage.

Bernie

As further proof, below is the same combination for the $5 notes. That is, TN-5-G10 modified to the Haxby listed $5 note IL-465-A5.

Bernie

• JimFitzJimFitz Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I KNOW I should have asked Berny and Russell to weigh in last....as they were spot on...

I'd like to call this note a work in progress, as "State of" in the upper left corner, and "Illinois" in the upper right are actually glued to the note, and the area that should say "Tennessee" at top center under Agricultural, along with "Brownsville" at bottom center under TWO DOLLARS have simply been abraided away by someone, as those areas really stand out when you candle or backlight the note.

Jim Fitzgerald
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to call this note a work in progress

That's a pretty remarkable item. Gotta love this sort of thing. Nice bit of detecting to tie down "both ends" as well.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    I thought that Marion note looked familiar, I bought it in 2008.

My Brownsville note has a blue LA CROSSE and red "R" similar to the $5 note posted.

Sig combination is the same.

(I noticed the partial alteration right away as well)

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)