Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Need some Advice from the Experts! Scissors Beats Paper!

Okay so look at the description and look at the note. Is there ANY chance that this note has Not been trimmed? I'm not being sarcastic and genuinely want to know if some of the numeral seal notes are this tight without being messed with.

Lot Description: Fr. 2000-K $10 1928 Federal Reserve Note. PMG Gem Uncirculated 66 EPQ.

Wide margins, strong embossing, and vibrant overprints are highlights of this pleasing note from a tough district.

Here is another note for comparison:

Based on the ID number on the back, it looks like these were graded on the same submission.

Comments

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Ahh yes, the good old old gauge plates.

It was very very common in the late 20's, up to the mid to late 30's to see notes with narrower margins on them. Back in the day, they were using wet ink, and sheets sometimes would actually shrink.

Also to compound problems, not the greatest of care was taken to cut the sheets (IE 1928A and 1928B $5 Legal Tenders), sometimes to the point of frame lines being completely lopped off (or the adjacent note's frameline showing).
  • gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Tight margins seem to be the norm on these - most of which came from a large hoard.
  • SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    Robert,

These notes are hoard notes. Are there any others on Heritage archives? Do they all have margins like these two?

My observation on early packs is that the overall length of notes was generally the same within the pack, only shifts in centering from left to right depending on sheet position.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the quick responses! I will do some digging for other examples in the SN range and see how they compare.
  • numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I would have described that note as having wide margins and it certainly looks a bit thin to me.When in question,I would take another numeral seal and place it against the Dallas one(I do this all the time in lot viewing rooms).It will reveal if there's paper missing.I have found several trimmed notes this way.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    I just checked Heritage. There are notes from the same sheets previously sold. I'll just say the other notes appeal to me more...

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's one that is two notes away from the top note in the OP. Looks like maybe these were all tight on the R/L margins?

• these are on ebay too (this hoard)
  • Not trimmed. I have one from the pack also. Same way. Normal for these.
  • I also believe that certain plates within the same series varied a tiny bit in size and sometimes you have a larger print taking up more space within the paper resulting in smaller margins.
  • SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    So I just did some quick research as someone suggested and have come to the conclusion that these notes have been trimmed. If you look at old archives scans from Heritage going back 10-12 years you will probably see what I mean. Now don't get me wrong, it appears that these Dallas $10s don't come with good margins but the likelihood is that the perpetrator who handled the Dallas Bank Hoard trimmed the notes to match up the centering quite evenly on both front and back. They did this by gently trimming the one side to make everything seem more even.

If/when you look at the old Heritage scans from yesteryear the difference is most glaring when viewing the back of the note. I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain that I'm right.
    To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • I agree: I'm afraid the notes arte trimmed! Check the scans at Heritage!

The left and right margins are a little thin. What about the length? That's an important information!

I've got a $10 from that Dallas Bank Hoard too, but in a PCGS holder. It's in the same serial number range. But compared with the notes which are shown in this thread the margins are wider. The length is ok too, so I would think that this note isn't trimmed. But if several notes from this hoard are trimmed, I wouldn't be sure any more...

• TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

To me yours does not appear to be trimmed.

If nothing else, it looks better than the others to my eyes... and of course the serial is COOL!

• That would be good. Trimming is a plague...

I've checked the scans at Heritage and it seems that the notes graded by PCGS have the slightly wider margins on the left and right, I've found three examples, although the notes are from the same serial number range as the notes graded by PMG we've seen in this thread...

• larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Here's mine:

• As I said: If you compare the PCGS notes with the PMG examples especially the left margin is wider. Your notes looks very similar to mine.

So I would think the PCGS notes possibly aren't trimmed. But is this difference enough to be sure? I'm afraid I can't decide this...

• TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    It may well be inside the tolerances and the person who had these graded simply, maximized their profit! (I will leave it at that) image