Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

FUN Update-STOLEN NOTES!!!!!UPDATED-NOTES FOUND

Just finished up my large size inventory and it saddens me to report that I have 11(eleven)stolen notes that I would like to list in the hopes that someone out there may know of or come across any of them in an attempt to reclaim them.Also,if anyone knows where else I need to list this info please get in touch.I think it's with Doug Davis but I don't have his contact info.They are as follows.....

FR 226A 1899 $1 SC in raw xf ser# D74857616
FR 228 1899 $1 SC in raw xf ser# R6159115
FR 229 1899 $1 SC in PMG 65 EPQ ser# X20775889
FR 229A 1899 $1 SC in raw fine ser# 40330382
FR 231 1899 $1 SC in raw fine ser# D617075D
FR 232 1899 $1 SC in raw vf(25) ser# K64055816K
FR 233 1899 $1 SC in raw xf ser# D34448294A
FR 235 1899 $1 SC in raw xf ser# N50556329A
FR 236 1899 $1 SC in raw vf/xf ser# T432786A
FR 237 1923 $1 SC in raw CCU ser#Y57683190D
FR 237 1923 $1 SC in raw GEM ser#A6630141B

These notes were all pretty close to one another within the same case and although I truly don't know how the thief stole them I get the feeling it was someone grabbing a close stack out from a case somehow with me,my wife and Tom all not catching it.My wife and I are physically sick over this and we are considering not doing anymore shows(maybe that's just our shock and disgust talking).It seems that good guys(or even a half decent guy like me) do in fact finish last.The value of these notes is in the #3500-$4000 range.
Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency

Comments

• Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear the news. At the bottom of this page are a few links for reporting stolen notes:

http://www.papermoneyauction.c...y-was-stolen-what-next
    My website: RICurrency.com
  • Options
    Oh no, takes all the enjoyment out of the show for certain. Here's a link to the reporting site on another forum.

StolenCurrency Link

You need to be a member but it is free. I'm truly sad for you image
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    I'm very sorry to hear about this. I would contact local coin shops with a list of the notes - they may try to dispose of these quickly. Notifying all currency dealers is also advisable as the thieve(s) may dispose of them out of state -- more rapidly than you might think.

Report the theft to the Police and have them complete a written report. A copy of the Police report will be vital to possible recovery if they are later found in someone's inventory. Remember, good title to a stolen note cannot be transferred to even an unsuspecting buyer (in most cases).
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Randy,what police should I report it to?......Tampa?
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Yes, where the notes were stolen - they have jurisdiction over this crime.
  • Options
    What sucks(beyond the obvious) is I have trust in all who I let reach in my cases....if I don't trust ya...you don't get to reach in.Not once did anyone I don't know reach in any of my cases...not once.So,the thief has to be someone I know...because of this my wife has asked me not to do anymore shows.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear that. Any security at show ? Video that might have your booth in it ? Narrow down time you last saw and see if there are any recordings of that time period.
  • Options
    Good thinking Dan.I'll mention that to the Tampa police when I attempt to report it.
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Geez Rob, SOOOO sorry to hear this crappy news. Takes all the FUN out of it. (pun I know)

Are you a member of PCDA? If so, report to them to help spread the word to all the member dealers. If not, get a member dealer to do it. Just a thought to try to help.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Rob I am so sorry! This is infuriating to hear. I hope somehow you get justice and are made whole on your missing notes!

Could Tom have randomly packed them up and not gone through all of his inventory yet? I'm sure you have thought of this already though.
  • Options
    Spoke with Tom.......not a chance....but thanks Rob.I think that I need some of your infectious happiness......can you overnight some...you've got my shipping info.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a deal! Will ship out ASAP.
  • Options
    Rob, sorry to hear that... someone else had some stuff stolen (coin dealer)... i saw the cops looking over the tape at their table
  • Options
    I sure hope they have good film of my table-that would be lucky for me. I hope I'll get their cooperation.
  • Options
    sorry to here about your loss. I'm starting to see Go-Pro cameras set up at dealer tables. I may have to go that route also.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    Appreciate that Jim,my wife mentioned that very thing to me.That may be the way,or at least part of the way,to go.
  • Options
    Rob, if you've no objection I can post the serial numbers on another forum

Retired

• Options
    TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Such sad news. I will certainly keep them in mind...

I hope for good news on this...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: techwriter
    Rob, if you've no objection I can post the serial numbers on another forum

Yes,please.That would be appreciated!
  • Options
    Posted and I asked they contact the Tampa police department. Do you have an incident number or report number?

Posted to:

StolenNotesLink

Retired

• Options
    not as of yet but expect to by the end of tomorrow.I'll get back to you.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    HOLY CRAP!! Damn... I'm real sorry to hear this. I hope no one you trusted stole them. You loose someone's trust once, it's gone forever. I really do hope you either find or recover your notes. Things like this shouldn't happen to good people like you.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    That sucks. Are you SURE they could not have been stolen any other way. Or, God forbid... misplaced?

Thankfully, I trust you are insured. Still, I hate losing such things. The only note I own I know I cannot find is this one:

Sure, it's only $70 but WHERE THE HELL IS IT?!?!?!?! It drives me insane not knowing. I fear it somehow got shoved off my desk into the trash. Strange how much losing something like that eats at you... much less the chance someone jacked it from you.
  • Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    That's just terrible news, sorry to hear that you and your wife were the victims of this crime. I hope your notes turn up and they get returned to you. I would hate for anyone to have to go through such an ordeal.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    That absolutely terrible. I certainly hope you can find out who took them and get them back. And I certainly hope it's not really someone you know that well. That would really suck to find out a trusted customer is one to blame.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Yes, a couple of cameras would be the way to go.

The local Sheriff might also be another route you can take.

It sounds like someone was making "hits" at the show (perusing around, waiting for the opportunity to steal something).

It is truly sad when someone goes around stealing from honest dealers, especially trusting ones.
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry this happened to you, it hurts like no other.

At Tampa, I heard an amazing number of similar stories, Mark from Dallas told me at his table that he had just gotten 5 stolen notes returned when the authorities had caught the thieves long after the theft at a coin show.

Tom Denly was especially cautious and would not let more than 2 viewers at a time because he had been hit and said the MO is a team distraction and slip out

• Options
    image with synchr, have seen it happen.

Retired

• Options
    How's this for salt in the wound...The Tampa police dept has REFUSED to write a report or to do any investigating of any kind.....PERIOD! I called my local police who called the Tampa police and they got the same result! The Palm Beach County sheriffs did get the Tampa police to agree to allow me to file..IF I go back to Tampa!!
  • Options
    How come that does not surprise me today. imageisgust;

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

• Options
    well, at least the show isnt in Tampa next year
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Maxcrusha

well, at least the show isnt in Tampa next year

But it is the following year!

Jim61

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    That makes this an even more frustrating story. The police are there to serve and protect. Don't get me started on that !!

Another lead for you might me local pawn shops / antique shops.

The thieves will want to dump the stolen goods ASAP without getting caught.
  • Options
    Trying to re-post numbersman to clean up the list of stolen notes. Looks like it worked.

Just finished up my large size inventory and it saddens me to report that I have 11(eleven)stolen notes that I would like to list in the hopes that someone out there may know of or come across any of them in an attempt to reclaim them.Also,if anyone knows where else I need to list this info please get in touch.I think it's with Doug Davis but I don't have his contact info.They are as follows.....

FR 226A 1899 $1 SC in raw xf ser# D74857616

FR 228 1899 $1 SC in raw xf ser# R6159115

FR 229 1899 $1 SC in PMG 65 EPQ ser# X20775889

FR 229A 1899 $1 SC in raw fine ser# 40330382

FR 231 1899 $1 SC in raw fine ser# D617075D

FR 232 1899 $1 SC in raw vf(25) ser# K64055816K

FR 233 1899 $1 SC in raw xf ser# D34448294A

FR 235 1899 $1 SC in raw xf ser# N50556329A

FR 236 1899 $1 SC in raw vf/xf ser# T432786A

FR 237 1923 $1 SC in raw CCU ser#Y57683190D

FR 237 1923 $1 SC in raw GEM ser#A6630141B

These notes were all pretty close to one another within the same case and although I truly don't know how the thief stole them I get the feeling it was someone grabbing a close stack out from a case somehow with me,my wife and Tom all not catching it.My wife and I are physically sick over this and we are considering not doing anymore shows(maybe that's just our shock and disgust talking).It seems that good guys(or even a half decent guy like me) do in fact finish last.The value of these notes is in the #3500-$4000 range.

Jim61

• Options
    I tried over and over again to fix that.Each time I went to edit it the list already looked correct.That's a big help Jim!
  • Options
    More than glad to help Rob. I felt it would be easier for those trying to copy/paste elsewhere.

Jim61

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I set up at shows like that I would have a little GoPro camera set up as a security device.

It is a long shot, but I hope they catch the creature that victimized you.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that .One reason I really don't like shows. Heres a link to NICI-Doug Davis site .Its a great organization. I am a member and receive reports at least one a week about stolen items all over the country .Its a non profit organization and is funded by donations. I encourage anyone who collects and deals in coins/currency to support this organization. Good luck.

NCIC
    Centurialcollectibles.com

EBAY SELLER ID CENTURYCOLL
    Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    shoot, even having a camera that doesnt work (or isnt plugged in) at the table may deter someone from taking a shot... kinda like when you put the bar on your steering wheel... locked or unlocked, people would avoid that car (or so we assumed)
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gnat
    I'm very sorry to hear about this. I would contact local coin shops with a list of the notes - they may try to dispose of these quickly. Notifying all currency dealers is also advisable as the thieve(s) may dispose of them out of state -- more rapidly than you might think.

Report the theft to the Police and have them complete a written report. A copy of the Police report will be vital to possible recovery if they are later found in someone's inventory. Remember, good title to a stolen note cannot be transferred to even an unsuspecting buyer (in most cases).

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    That sucks numbers, sorry to hear about it. I think a GoPro (or some other camera) is a good idea. Make it visible, and it might be a deterrent.

I (selfishly) hope you keep going to shows, cuz I enjoyed meeting you at FUN last year, when I could make it.

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Someone you know? Hopefully they're dumb enough to list them for sale on the BST board!
  • Options
    So sorry for you and your wife. You were both victims to one of societies low life. I'm also sadden to hear that you feel that's it might have been someone you trusted. I've never met your wife but I know that you are a very friendly outgoing and humorous person please don't lose those qualities. Trust is a hard thing to gain but so easy to lose. I've been a victim of thieves also and know that feeling of being violated. Hopefully your notes will be found but in the mean time try to get some sleep.
    Anything worth doing at all is worth doing well.
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: numbersman

I tried over and over again to fix that.Each time I went to edit it the list already looked correct.That's a big help Jim!

This annoying quirk/problem with HTML coding/formatting was very recently brought up by a MODERATOR in the Sportscard forum. He was also having this same problem. I am lucky, I guess, that formatting works properly for me. I can simply hit the "Quote" button (like Jim61) on your post and it will appear formatted correctly when I hit "Reply". The Sportscard moderator claims it is the WYSIWYG/HTML setting in their profile settings. I'm not changing mine to test this theory, my luck it would break my ability to get the proper formatting. Shortly after the new software was introduced this problem(s) was addressed by totally disabling the WYSIWYG functioning in the profile settings. Would be interesting to hear what other members have their settings set to.

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    Hey Danny, I did not do a "QUOTE".

Jim61

• Options
    Originally posted by: Jim61

Hey Danny, I did not do a "QUOTE".

Works for me. image

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    Few months ago somebody stole two envelopes with banknotes inside from my mailbox. Not expensive ones but still... So my wife told me that it was decided by God that I will lose something, and I was very lucky that it was notes and not something with my health.
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    Omega32Omega32 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    So sorry to hear about this Rob - you had some great notes in there. I hope you find them!!
    The above is my two cents worth - adjusted for inflation, YOU OWE me money. Please pay promptly.

SPMC LM #371
  • Options
    Rob, I'm very sorry to hear that. Is it possible that FUN organizers had security video on premises? I viewed your notes on Thursday, I think -- can you nail down the day and time you last saw them?
    * R. Shawn Hewitt
    * Enthusiast of Minnesota Notes
    * Researching non-star and pre-star replacement notes in the 1903-1920 era
    * Minnesota Paper Money
    -------------------------
  • Options
    I'm working on the issues that I can control and pushing the limit on what I can't.It's a work in progress right now and many of your suggestions are in play.Thanks for all the comments as it truly helps.Meanwhile..........Ft Lauderdale huh...........hard to resist as I live 45 minutes from the convention center and equally important...I know where to go for dinner!