Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Complete U.S. Type Coin Set Ends in 1964?

Maybe I'm missing something here (or this has been discussed before), but the "Complete U.S. Type Coin Set (1792-1964)" ends in 1964, yet boasts that "this set is for the man or woman who has everything (at least ONE of everything)!" If they have everything then it doesn't end in 1964.

Why did the set stop at 1964 if it is a "Complete US Type Set"?

And why does it include a 1792 half disme? When did this become a regular issue coin? How about including some Colonials in this set if this coin is in there?

Again, sorry if these have been discussed before.

Comments

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True Coinage Ceased in 1964.
      Flame On Modern Folks.image
    1. Options
      keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
      Greg,

Classic collectors don't want to mess with clad coins. That's why PCGS invented the 20th Century and Modern Registries. I personally believe that you can't say that your Type set is Complete without them though, regardless of what the Classic guys say.

A speech by Washington during his Presidency indicated that the Mint had made some Half Dismes for circulation. This being the 1792 Half Disme, it is now considered a genuine circulating issue, much like the Gobrecht dollar.
      Keith ™

2. Options
      TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
      Greg:

I think you know the answer. When you are buying MS65RD Chain Cents, why would you want to fool around with 1999 Lincolns. And, if you do want to fool with them do the modern sets.

Now go buy what PCGS tells you to buy.image

Greg
    3. Options
      Aw, don't worry about bringing up old subjects. Maybe I can talk about how I think the 20'th Century really ended in the year 2000 again?

I don't mind about that half disme. I'll probably get that before I get a wire or rolled edge Indian $10.

I think it is amazing that there is a tie for first place and both sets are %100 complete. Just incredible.
    4. Options
      gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
      I like this new definition of "complete". I'll sell my "complete" sets, just using my definition of complete. Depending on my mood, that may be 30% full or 75% full.
    5. Options
      braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Greg, I agree. The Classic collector is just as likely to not want to locate a 1964 Kennedy for his set as he is a Clad Ike.
      Also, that MS65 Chain Cent collector wouldn't need to go for a 1999. How about one from the sixties? (Unless the post 1982 Memorials become part of that set.)
      This set should include examples of coinage from 1964 to the end of the century.

peacockcoins

6. Options
      keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
      From CoinFacts.com re: Half Disme

It is generally accepted that U.S. coinage began in 1793, with the half dime denomination being produced beginning in the following year. There is, however, some evidence the 1792 half disme was meant to be the first regular issue U.S. circulation coin.

In the annual address given by Washington on Nov. 6, 1792, the president included the statement, "There has been a small beginning in the coinage of half dimes, the want of small coins in circulation calling the first attention to them.

Keith ™