Home Precious Metals
Options

Interesting Pricing on 10 oz Silver Bars

WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
Noticed that the new / recent 10 oz JM bars are commanding higher prices than old school 10 oz Engelhards, at least according to current APMEX pricing.

Since we don't know how many (if any) they are selling at that price point, what are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asahi bought J-M a few months ago so when these new bars are gone they will only be available on the secondary market. I'm guessing AMEX only has a few left and doesn't want to sell them too cheaply.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    APMEX considers themselves a market maker at this point. They determine prices for a growing list of their inventory using logic that I cannot figure out, primarily in the silver vertical.

An example would be 2015 5 oz Silver ATB Homestead National Park. They now want $155.
    You can get these all day at $110-$120. They don't care as they have inventory and patience.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: carew4me

APMEX considers themselves a market maker at this point. They determine prices for a growing list of their inventory using logic that I cannot figure out, primarily in the silver vertical.

An example would be 2015 5 oz Silver ATB Homestead National Park. They now want $155.

You can get these all day at $110-$120. They don't care as they have inventory and patience.

There are several large bullion dealers so it pays to do some price comparisons. Once in a great while APMEX has the best price but usually their prices are on the high side.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Originally posted by: carew4me

It probably largely depends on their available inventory, if they are low on an item they are likely to raise the price significantly since they won't be worried about selling it.

In the case of the 5 oz Homestead, I just checked their available inventory. (at least what they show on the site) and it shows only 38 in stock. That probably explains the high price relative to others.
    Completed deals on this forum with: wondercoin, Metalsman, dmarks, PerryHall Additional references available upon request.