Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Attention Carkim

1973 Murcer

Is this for real? That's an amazing price for a PSA 8 1973. Is this card that tough? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad your auction was so successful. I'm just curious why it went so high. I sold a PSA 9 Greg Nettles for less than $50. I thought that would be a more coveted card for the Yankee collectors.
Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I don't know if Carlos is finished dancing naked around the house after this closed.

This card is not that tough compared to some others. Its a Pop 3 and there are still quite a few that are Pop 0 and Pop 1 in PSA 8.

I think what you saw was a Set Collector (Wetzel) versus a Yankee Collector (djw3000) and Carlos was the winner.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    For Carlos: "you gotta' know when to hold em', know when to fold em', know when to walk away, and know when to dance around the house naked because your card went through the roof on ebay"
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I guess I should put my clothes back on now. (Although the wife enjoyed the dance).

And yes it was for real.image
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I think that we've heard just about enough...image
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Does a sale like this have any effect on the SMR values in their "price guide" ??

In the July issue, for 73 BB, Rod Carew and card #1 (Ruth,Mays, Aaron) were the only cards to rise in PSA 8 form. The combined value for these two cards , and throw in a Pete Rose in 8 also, for three diff star 73 BB in PSA 8 , and they are still worth about 20 percent LESS than the Mercer card's sale price. SMR also still does not place an extra value on the high numbers from 1973. Would it not assist " The Pricing Authority" to learn of this sale and to realize high nos. are a bit more than commons ? Actually I forgot, there is no price for graded commons via SMR for 1973 cards.

From the bid history it can be seen that only two people felt the card was worth more than $ 30.00. Does this make the price a fluke ? Is it worth more than a high no. in 9 shape ? Should ebay provide a "current" sale price guide ?image
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>From the bid history it can be seen that only two people felt the card was worth more than $ 30.00. >>

Its hard to make that conclusion. Someone could have sniped at $35.00. In this example, that person's snipe never registered as a bid due to the price already being higher. Its tough to draw concrete conclusions ONLY based on auction results.

I understand your point, and its valid. But the bid history doesn't offer proof that another bidder wasn't watching and wouldn't have bid over $30.00 under different circumstances.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    psa1965topps,

You are quite correct, what I should have said is; that at LEAST two people thought it was worth more thn $ 30.00, This would have properly allowed for snipes, late lookers who might have bid $ 100.00 and so forth.

It seems Beckett guides do show some auction prices as notes in the guide itself, and this might indicate they may acknowledge that ebay does somewhat represent a current price. I am sure there are many factors involved in value setting. Do most feel that the sale of the Murcer should at the least, indicate that future sales of this card, be watched a bit closer, in order to possibly raise the card from common status ? Is it a trend or a fluke ? If it happened it is a fact, shouldn't it be included in the averaging of prices paid ? image
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    It's a fluke. Price guides would be completely worthless if they used this information to come up with their prices. It's just two people with too much money who just happened to meet each other on this particular card. It happens all the time, most often on certain Yankees or Cubs on a couple collector's want lists.
  • Options
    Agreed - that is a fluke,

Also - the price guides will not change to reflect it. It takes repeated instances ofa disparity in the SMR and the sales price in order for the SMR to change. Example - 1972 Topps 6th Series PSA 9's were SMR of $28 for over 2 years. The average price over the last year on eBay for over 100 auctions has been about $68 - $70 with a span of $38 to $156 (for commons). A month or two ago - the SMR was upped to $40.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!