Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1894-S Dime sells for $2 million at 2016 FUN

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not the greatest of images though...



1894-S dime story



Nothing wrong with a big coin sale making the news!

Comments

  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a large advance since 2007, but at least it is up.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of bad information about this coin on network news this evening.



    They stated that the 1894 dime is called the S-barber dime.

    and although more than 2.3 million of them were made, fewer than 10 are known.



    I don't know who was preparing their facts, but it's pretty horrible.



    I guess it doesn't really matter unless you care about these sorta metal discs.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heritage press release



    Under $2 MILL seems a tad weak but in this market, maybe not so bad. It sold for $1.9 MILL in July 2007.



    PCGS already lowered the price guide value to $2MILL in PF66 so I don't know that it was before the auction.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: roadrunner

    Heritage press release



    Under $2 MILL???. If memory serves, that price is well under what it sold for in the heat of 2006-2008. Didn't a PF64 fetch $2+ MILL back then? At this seeming bargain price for the finest known I wouldn't be surprised it TDN/Legend didn't go after it.




    Not sure. TDN doesn't necessarily go by the finest graded and HA mentioned they thought two other specimens were finer, though graded lower. Would be interested to hear from those that have seen this coin and the others.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this coin and it was attractive to me, though at the 65 level. I was wrong about those earlier prices and edited my post above to $1.9 MILL being the July 2007 transaction. Don't know if it traded hands from 2007-2015. The market was strong in summer 2007 so matching that price today by +$100K is not bad.



    Heritage reported that private transactions have exceeded $2 MILL. Nowhere in their current auction description did I see anything that suggested this one wasn't the unequivocal finest known. It's the only 66 CAC.



    Here's what they said in 2005 when auctioning a PF65:



    In our opinion, this coin is equal to the primary Eliasberg coin retained for his collection, and these two are the two finest examples. Both of these coins are superior to the Eliasberg duplicate that was sold by Stack's in 1947, despite its higher certified grade.



    Love the one your with.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the buyer and seller.



    It is a beautiful rarity.

    Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our Analyst (Greg Reynolds) has personally examined 6 of the 9 specimens, and wrote a detailed article in 2013.


    He agreed with 7 of the 9 current Heritage rankings of specimens by quality; he swaps #3 and #4:


    http://www.coinweek.com/expert...with-recent-histories/
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very happy that I do not own such a coin. Very few buyers that might like this series. Unless you are capable of creating a registry set of the best 100 coins.

    OINK
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never own one of these unless I find one with my metal detector.Great coin in any condition.Nice article Mr. Reynolds.image

  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LanLord

    Lots of bad information about this coin on network news this evening.



    They stated that the 1894 dime is called the S-barber dime.

    and although more than 2.3 million of them were made, fewer than 10 are known.



    I don't know who was preparing their facts, but it's pretty horrible.



    I guess it doesn't really matter unless you care about these sorta metal discs.




    Were all 2.3 million proofs?



    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I meant to post this yesterday, but I sent it to RR as a PM by accident.







    RR: Fun fact...



    Had JHF simply placed his $1,850,000 net proceeds from the sale of this 1894-S Dime in Gold bullion back in 2007, he would be sitting on nearly $3,000,000 in gold value today. And, at one point a few years back (back when gold hit close to $1,900/oz) he would have been sitting on nearly $5,000,000. It kind of hard to assert this finest known ultra rarity coin performed all that well from the time JHF sold it around 8 years ago.



    Just my 2 cents.





    Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yah, but what if he had put it into oil?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tradedollarnut

    Yah, but what if he had put it into oil?






    In one year they could have doubled up an oil investment by July 2008. And even if they hung on through the 2008 crash, they had multiple opportunities from 2011-2014 to bet back out at decent profit. Like anything, markets are about timing. Certainly, a PR66 1894-s dime doesn't have the price volatility of oil or gold.





    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin for the hobby! I like the fact that if someone would come forward with another 1894s (10-12 Known) I think it was Heritage, claims they would pay $10,000 just to examine it!

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if this, what if that...

    What if he just enjoyed his coin and made a little in the end?

    Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: joeykoins

    Great coin for the hobby! I like the fact that if someone would come forward with another 1894s (10-12 Known) I think it was Heritage, claims they would pay $10,000 just to examine it!




    Do you have a link to the Heritage $10k offer? Are there others? Here's the PCGS $10k offer to see a Peace dollar.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file