Options
My first coin of 2016 - Toned Morgan
ElmerFusterpuck
Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
This one has that 'bowl luster' I really like, the luster really screams on it with no dull spots.
1881-S PCGS MS-64+ CAC:

1881-S PCGS MS-64+ CAC:

10-4,
Erik
My registry sets
0
Comments
Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner.
Happy New Year
markq
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson
Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."
What does, "bowl luster" mean?
BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
I too like it, at lot.
What does, "bowl luster" mean?
I think Brandon Kelley was the first person I saw use this term, it's more about the way some Morgans have that concave 'bowl' look to them, mostly on the obverse. These are usually very well struck too. I see this most often on the 1882-S pieces, but I've seen this look on the 80-S, 81-S and once in awhile the 79-S. For some reason, most of the other dates can't be found with that look. The closest analogy I can think of is the 1921 Peace dollar and its concave obverse.
Once you see a mid to high grade lustrous example in hand, toned or untoned, you won't forget it.
10-4,
My Instagram picturesErik
My registry sets
100% Positive BST transactions
Mike
Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!
--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.My YouTube Channel
Bowl luster is best defined as cartwheel that is parabolic in nature rather than a straight line more or less. Bowl luster curves greatly the closer it gets to the coin's edge.
This coin is beautiful overall for sure. I will tell you something you may not have noticed. It is a dual non-overlapping crescent. Check out the untoned curved blip at the very rim at K-8 obverse.