Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Large Size Error?

It was presented as an error but I am not sure I believe it is legitimate and it is not my specialty so I thought I would ask...

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks it had some sort of chemical bath to me.
  • image I'm with the TookyBandit; looks 'washed' or something.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    What ever happened, also removed the other set of serial numbers on the face.
  • TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

I basically thought the same thing...

It is strange as is looks like the part of the note that has been in liquid or stained is the part retaining the reverse printing while the side without the reverse printing looks really good but is missing that serial. What could erase the reverse printing and front serial and leave the rest of the ink alone?

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigerTrader

I basically thought the same thing...

It is strange as is looks like the part of the note that has been in liquid or stained is the part retaining the reverse printing while the side without the reverse printing looks really good but is missing that serial. What could erase the reverse printing and front serial and leave the rest of the ink alone?

Different composition of inks on face and back. Serial used a different one yet. Each reacted differently to the solvent/cleaning solution used. Also, may not have been fully immersed but wiped or just sat on the surface of the solvent initially.

Looks like someone tried to remove staining. Sorta successful but also removed the ink on the back as well.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit
    Looks it had some sort of chemical bath to me.

yes, looks like someone goofed.