Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1 in great grade or 2 in VF?

So, you have a strict budget of 5000$. You cannot go above it.
One day you see at one table at a show a note that you chased for years in 67 EPQ for 5000.
And at the other table you see the same note at 35 grade for 2500 and another rare note that you chased also at 35 grade, also for 2500.
You know that if you miss it now, you maybe will never see it again.

What you will buy? The 67 note or the two 35-s?
Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.

Comments

• Options
    For me personally I would purchase the TWO notes and quit chasing!

Edited: I know all about STRICT budgets(ask my budget director, aka the spouse)
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: techwriter
    For me personally I would purchase the TWO notes and quit chasing!

Edited: I know all about STRICT budgets(ask my budget director, aka the spouse)

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not usually as concerned with high grade (Most of the time). I would go for the two notes as well. You will generally have an opportunity to upgrade somewhere down the line.
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    I'd be inclined to grab the 67.
  • Options
    Wizard1Wizard1 Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Id choose the 67. If it is that rare of a note and you're going on a $2500 difference between a 35 and a 67, I'd take the better /rarer one. As time goes by, it would theoretically go up in value (or hopefully maintain it's value), worse comes to worse you can always trade down and still end up with two of those notes (and maybe a bit of extra pocket money). While trading up, in the future, would be far harder.
    Always looking for US 22666622, 34444443 and 18111181 Radars & Perfect Flipper Serials consisting of 6, 8, 9, 0

http://www.wizard1.ca

MAKE DONALD DRUMPF AGAIN! http://tinyurl.com/z5uju34 STOP THE DEVOLUTION OF AMERICA

• Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    If the note is $2500 in VF and $5000 in 67 I would lean strongly toward the 67. I wish that I could pick up ANY note that I collect in high grade for double VF money!

• Options
    If it's a NBN or obsolete I might lean towards the 2 low grades. Large,small, or fractional I'd go with the 67 all day long.
    Anything worth doing at all is worth doing well.
  • Options
    amrysamrys Posts: 143
    I think the depends highly on the goals you have!

If you prefer to get complete sets you should buy the two rare notes in lower grade.

But if you want your sets in uncirculated condition, or you want even only top pops, then you must buy the 67.

The problem is if you try to combine such goals: To get a complete set but only in unc! That makes things more complicate and it's much harder to find notes you can need.

In fact you will then probably follow more the goal to get higher grades and less to be complete. Simply because there aren't many notes rare AND unc at the same time. Maybe you must wait for years or maybe you will never be complete. But if you only like notes in unc that shouldn't bother you. Then you can only buy what's available. The way to completeness is then the goal.

Finally it's of course a matter of resources. How much money you can spend for your notes. Notes in unc or even top pops will easily empty your wallet. With a lower budget you should concentrate your collection on notes that are more affordable, but lower graded.

So main thing is to decide what are your goals!

• Options
    So, Alex, what did you decide?
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    Sell your car, buy em all, no regrets!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: techwriter
    So, Alex, what did you decide?

I wanted to see opinions. Personally, I will go for the 2 notes. I'm not looking much on the grade, I'm more interested in the historical meaning of the note.
    IMHO I think that the grade issue is much exaggerated. It looks very strange to me that a price of a note is doubled/tripled because there are no folds. As a collector I prefer issued and circulated notes (VF-XF), they have the spirit of their time.
    For example, when I see a nice 1 toman note from Persia I can imagine the old and colorful Persian bazaar where this note was used to buy a rug...
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    Buy them all, flip one.
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I would fill the holes and upgrade later. If the 67 note is rare and top pop you may consider that one and then you only need to search for the other missing note. I pretty much said nothing huh, lol.
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Higher grade notes appreciate faster.

If financial appreciation is your only goal then go for the top pop. If your goal is to fill blocks then get the lowers