Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Post some obsolete error notes.

This forum seems to spend a lot of time with error notes. However, error notes for obsoletes seem to be much rarer. Why?

So post some obsolete notes that have production errors.

Here is one of mine that I decided to sell through the Heritage BIN option. It has an obvious gutter fold.

This note is not listed in Haxby. It was added in Lee's new book. It is an altered note that stems from the Farmer's Bank of Sandstone (MI-60-G10) which failed in 1838 and left remainders to be easily modified. Lee says that it is a spurious note from an altered plate. Which is it?

When I obtained the error note I thought that it might be unique; however, about a year later another one showed up at Heritage. This one had serial#/date/signatures added. It turns out that S. Blanchard was the first president of The Bank of Tecumseh. However, the 1847 date is impossible since the bank existed only from 1836-39 and 1855-60.

Bernie
Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee is correct. It's a spurious note from an altered plate.

Haxby confused the twotypes in hundreds of listings and, unfortunately, Bowers is picking up Haxby's mistakes in his new books.

I'll try to post some errors later. I have some neat ones.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

I have not seen many errors on obsoletes and don't have any to contribute, But that gutter fold is pretty cool!

Looking forward to seeing some more!

• Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    I would guess that gutter folds and creasing errors would be the most common, given the tissue-like paper used for most obsolete notes.
    Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    I found a gutter fold on a scrip note.