Home Sports Talk

For the Cleveland Browns it seems as though "continuity" is 4-letter word.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Don't get me wrong, the Team has been bad this year and in years past, but the answer isn't to tear it down every two years so it is a perpetually rebuilding effort. Just as Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini weren't as bad as their records reflect, so it goes with Mike Pettine. To constantly place a new and sometimes inexperienced Head Coach in a position where he is forced to "win" in two years with the previous Coaches players, while being saddled with an inept GM is a recipe for disaster.

And yet the Merry-Go-Round gets another running start this off-season!!!image

This hammerhead, Haslam, needs to let Football Men run the franchise. Step One is to hire a competent General Manager and Step Two is to take a long vacation followed by concentrating on Flying J. Step Three is to show up at games and STFU when it comes to running a Football Team.

If the Cleveland Browns manage to hire a decent GM who manages to hire a decent Head Coach I hope they can leave them in place for a minimum of five years no matter what happens. As a parting thought I will say that I really feel Haslam got rid of Pettine so he could get one of the guys that will soon be available. He got rid of Farmer because that man is a word I cannot post here.

Al H.

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand Chip Kelly is available.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listening to some reports this morning it is clear that the Browns "led" by Haslam are getting ready to self-destruct for at least the near future. They plan to try some new approach, which I admittedly don't understand, which places the GM below another administrator without direct interaction with the owner. At a time when Cleveland needs to absolutely simplify how they do things they are trying something new and complicated.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Brick
    I understand Chip Kelly is available.

So is Eric Mangini...oh wait, he already had a stint there. In any event, the Yanks took a few shots with Billy Martin, so why not?
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets
    Listening to some reports this morning it is clear that the Browns "led" by Haslam are getting ready to self-destruct for at least the near future. They plan to try some new approach, which I admittedly don't understand, which places the GM below another administrator without direct interaction with the owner. At a time when Cleveland needs to absolutely simplify how they do things they are trying something new and complicated.

On the one hand, I feel bad for Browns' fans. On the other, being a Steeler fan, I'm happy they won't be mounting a serious challenge for the division title for a few more years.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good move in hiring Hue Jackson, who not surprisingly is said to be ready to jettison Manziel, and hopefully begin to turn this team into a respectable one from the embarrassment they are right now.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and hopefully begin to turn this team into a respectable one from the embarrassment they are right now.

this is the mantra we all repeat every two years, but the new hire usually isn't around long enough to prove his worth or implement his philosophy and the style of play he envisions. Jackson may be ready but he is working with someone else's players and preparing for a Draft with a General Manager and Draft Team that haven't even been hired yet. Added to that is an untried approach to player personnel and we have the recipe for Jackson's failure.

I would have thought the "answer" was to hire front office/head coach and then start to build around what they already have with a plan for where they want to go and when they think they should arrive. One thing is certain, they need to get a QB that is already established instead of drafting in the first round for a flop. To think, they could have gotten Alex Smith and drafted Julio Jones!!