Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Just some thoughts about this board and the changes

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over the years things have changed. This isn't anything new ,but sadly true.
In the past the Mercury dime resistry set members had such a good time here.
Those remember the Mercater t shirts. The red Friday's and the support each gave to each other. From the top to the bottom each and every one was given support. Even those that had other set would comment on how much the Mercury dime collectors are having fun.
Comments like little fishing lures, used in a good natured way. In closing I want to thank all those that made that happen and a special thank you to the Joshua II collection for all he's good deeds.
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How true, I remember those days of old image As to the sea of red updates, I'd like to see a better (icon) color than the drab grey today. Maybe another red and/or an animated gif inside the set - give it some pop!!!!
  • Options
    How about different color for different updates!

Red for adding a coin and yellow for an update grade.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I joined here in 2010 and I recall everyone talking about the good ol' days of the Mercateers etc. We are now in 2016 and people still talk about those gold ol' days. I think we are in good days right now, you just have to know how to enjoy them to the fullest and take advantage of the relationships that can be built for lifetimes! As for JoshuaII, I bought one of the coins from that collection when it was auctioned and enjoyed it for several years before letting it go early last year. Some changes can be tough for some to take but I really enjoy this place. There are a lot of really good people. I hope that never changes! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I joined this forum in 2001, when I began my 1932-1964 Washington quarter set, and received great support from other Washington enthusiasts at that time. When I completed that set, I moved on to Mercury dimes and, as one of the Mercateers, had a lot of fun searching for and buying coins, posting (usually not-so-great) photos, and giving and receiving encouragement from other members. It WAS the golden era for the Registry, when most participants were just average collectors, in it for fun. The Registry has become a victim of its own success, to the benefit of the TPG's, as it is more of a contest of ego and money for those striving to be Number 1. Hardly anyone posts their new acquisitions or upgrades now, as a quick glance at the topics on this forum shows, and there is little camaraderie. Of course, some of us are not as active as we once were, but one would think that with the proliferation of cell phones and the ability to post from anywhere, any time, that there would be more activity now than 10-15 years ago.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a diehard Roosie collector, I would find the Mercateers threads to be quite annoying to say the least, because you guys would post a new thread about every 4hrs as it would seem. But I would read every one of them and admired the fact that you guys were serious collectors and having tons of fun collecting. The banter between the 2 sets were classic to say the least and that was very fun. I certainly miss those days, but I have my Roosie thread here going strong and I'm very happy with that. If you Mercateers want to rekindle those "Good ol days", you need to just start a thread.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Maybe I will try to bring back to life the Mercateers threads

Yes I did upgrade my 1931-S dime.

Man I need to fill some of my holes with MS dimes.

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys,

I also remember the "Good Ole Days". I still have my Mercateer shirt! I sold the set I was building back then, started a new set about 3 years ago, and have been slowly climbing up the list, breaking into the top 20 last month. Sorry I didn't give you "Passing Signals" Pat! I have several dimes for sale that I have upgraded. All prices are delivered. Sorry, no photos. These are all nice dimes that I have upgraded, satisfaction guaranteed. Best to email me at wdriskill@hotmail.com as I do not log in very often.

1916-S MS64FB White $175.00

1935-S MS67FB Slight golden/bronze rim toning, pretty $1,250.00

1937 MS67+FB CAC Brilliant white $400.00

1939-D MS65FB Brilliant white $40.00

1939-D MS67FB dark tobacco rim toning with some blues, mostly on the reverse. $200.00
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Guys. Just posted a question about Everyman Sets.

Ken
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I am glad I built and retired my Merc set when I did (pre CAC days), I can't imagine doing it now. Prices have gone through the roof! But the coins haven't changed, they just have CAC stickers on them now and extra decimal places in their prices image

I remember when people helped each other build sets/collections, hand-me downs were sought after, and in general more "community" style collecting was common place. It's less like that now, far fewer collectors building "sets"...the hobby has morphed into more of an "a la carte" style of collecting.

Also, price/cost has become WAY more important than buying and original/PQ coin, but I suspect that is a factor of the times.

Anyhow, it's good to see of the blast from the past names talking about Mercs image