Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 topps weighting change

It looks like almost all commons in the 1971 Topps Baseball set had the weight changed in the set registry to a 1. Even most of the high numbers now have a weight of 1. Any ideas why this would happen? I don't think I've seen a change this big before.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What were they before?
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering why all the sets were updated today and why I moved up a few spots.

I don't understand how the weightings work in general. With the Wacky Packs sets, most of them have uniform weights of 1, while others at random have detailed weightings. Why?
  • Options
    I believe the high number commons were all 3's. It moved a lot of people around. I passed 4 people on the registry because of this.
  • Options
    I always thought the high series cards had the higher weighting because there were less of them since they usually came out at the end of the season.
  • Options
    From the PSA website;

What are weights? Within a set, not all cards and tickets have the same value. Sets in the PSA Set Registry are weighted on a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being the rarest item and 1 being the most common. While it may be in true in some instances that an item may be many times over 10 as rare as the most common item in the set, the Registry keeps the scale simple so that all levels of collectors can compete. Each item within the set is assigned a weight based on the value of the item in NM-MT condition.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That definition is fine, but in many sets uniform weights of 1 are in place despite vast differences in rarity among the cards.
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Yes, this is something a lawyer would put together for a 10-K report. This would not be prepared by a company that supposedly cares about their customers.

Originally posted by: JoeBanzai

From the PSA website;

What are weights? Within a set, not all cards and tickets have the same value. Sets in the PSA Set Registry are weighted on a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being the rarest item and 1 being the most common. While it may be in true in some instances that an item may be many times over 10 as rare as the most common item in the set, the Registry keeps the scale simple so that all levels of collectors can compete. Each item within the set is assigned a weight based on the value of the item in NM-MT condition.

• Options
    No doubt there's a LOT of improvement needed here. PSA does seem to be willing to work on it. They were very prompt in addressing the problem I pointed out.
  • Options
    It looks like a Master 1971 Topps set was just added and they took the weights that were set up for that set and overwrote the Basic 1971 Topps set.