Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Be careful with those overseas auctions

I'm sure you're all doing this already, but be sure to really check those invoices closely. I just received an invoice with the wrong buyers fee applied. The auction company had "assumed my address was in Europe" so had applied 22% buyers fee plus a few other fees. The address I provided clearly stated USA.

I contacted them to point out that the US buyers fee for their auctions is 15% and they nicely adjusted the invoice. Maybe just an oversight, maybe sloppiness, or maybe something else.

Anyway, glad I caught it and read the terms closely (thanks Google translate!). Now I just have to wait a few months to see if the items actually show up! image

Have a happy new year everyone!

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May I ask what firm did that? Because some firms do really have a 22% fee even for non-EU buyers.

And most will charge VAT on the commission but not on the hammer if the item is being exported from the EU.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The firm is Frühwald, but let me be clear I didn't start this thread to bash them. They corrected the mistake and were very polite about it.

The auction terms state 22% surcharge which includes VAT, but "Buyers from third countries will be charged on all purchased coins a premium of 15% on the hammer price, as long as the acquired goods are exported by us."

Just glad I read the terms which is always smart before placing bids or paying an invoice.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, I would beware of Leipziger Münzhandlung und Auktion Heidrun Höhn e.K. They do run auctions. I have sent them several queries about an order from 11/11 and STILL I have not received a response. Next week I will start stepping up my frustration.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: harasha
    Meanwhile, I would beware of Leipziger Münzhandlung und Auktion Heidrun Höhn e.K. They do run auctions. I have sent them several queries about an order from 11/11 and STILL I have not received a response. Next week I will start stepping up my frustration.

Was that the order that went via UK? Now with sixbid, I've really lost count of all these little or big firms. 11/11 ? image

You should have stepped up your frustration long time ago, and should have been asking for a refund, or (told them that) you've already contacted your lawyer to solve this once and for all. Your patience exceeds anything I could dream of...

OriginalDan, Pruebas' question was legit and I would have asked instead of him, the majority of auction houses in Europe do not make such distinctions, except perhaps for some bullion gold, I'm sure MrEureka is the right person to reply to this in detail, if he has the time: it's THAT time of the year again, where he's running like Hussein Bolt. image

Having said that, Happy NEW YEAR to all and best wishes from Athens , Greece, it's already 93 minutes after midnight.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ??t???sµ??? t? ??? ?t??, I think.

DPOTD
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Monotonic too! You never cease to surprise me. image

If you do not take action against these $£%^*@, I swear, I'll do it on your behalf for the principle alone. And for getting your refund too. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I think the issue may be arrogance ( ?ß??? ?) I usually allow 30 days to pass for anything overseas. My gripe is that these people simply won't respond as to whether there is a tracking number.

As for the other vendor, in London, they seem be mortified that the shipping was marked for surface. I really hope to get that item. If not, we will see if the London vendor's reputation is reputable as I believe it is.

DPOTD
  • Options
    OriginalDan, Pruebas' question was legit and I would have asked instead of him, the majority of auction houses in Europe do not make such distinctions, except perhaps for some bullion gold,

I don't dispute this at all. The main goal is to know how much to bid, factoring in the buyers fee which isn't always easy to find with some of these auction houses. I don't really care if it's 50%, like most of us I simply adjust my max bid downwards to compensate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: harasha

This really stinks, hope this works out for you in the end.

I try to use Paypal as much as I can when paying for overseas auction wins, even if it costs me an extra 4%. At least then there is recourse if something like this happens. I've found that many houses don't advertise that they'll accept Paypal, but often will accept it if you ask. If they don't respond to my inquiry then it's a good sign to move along.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have had this VAT issue (I believe it was with a British company) as well and also was quickly corrected after an email.

I tend to give greater scrutiny to (but also forgive) invoices from the smaller operations, they are not quite the well-oiled machines that are Heritage, CNG, and the bigger auctioneers.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OriginalDan

OriginalDan, Pruebas' question was legit and I would have asked instead of him, the majority of auction houses in Europe do not make such distinctions, except perhaps for some bullion gold,

I don't dispute this at all. The main goal is to know how much to bid, factoring in the buyers fee which isn't always easy to find with some of these auction houses. I don't really care if it's 50%, like most of us I simply adjust my max bid downwards to compensate.

For most EU auctions, I generally figure a round 20% as my buyer's premium when figuring bids. Yes, sometimes it'll come in higher (more and more these days) and sometimes it'll come in lower, but it's hard to be exact especially when dealing with exchange rates and other fees (like the inspection fee in Spain). And I also add about 20 Euros for shipping in my bid computation as well.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bidders should be aware that when a lot is exported by the auction house or "their agent", VAT is due ONLY on the services performed locally. Never on the sales price of the item.

Services are performed within a EU country and are therefore taxable in the EU regardless of the item being shipped out of the EU or not. A registered dealer with a EU business number does not have to pay VAT as they account for it in their business accounting. Services range from commission fees to any other fees they earn or charge or will dream up.

as for your issue with Hoehn, I would simply call them. they do speak English.

I am fluent in German (read, speak and write without "google x-lation) ). Have done many translations and if you need help, I would be happy to make the call for you, or anyone else who needs help with German. phone costs are zero. just send a pm.

Not too long ago I received an invoice from WAG with exactly the same problem. Overcharged VAT . Next day another corrected invoice arrived. someone at WAG did actually check.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another not so well known info.

when your purchase exceds Euro 1000, the seller has to make a written export declaration to their local customs office. One might consider having your purchases sent as several shipments under Euro 1000 each, and registered. until not so long ago they had to physically go to the customs office with the proper papers and have them processed. Now I believe it works on an electronic honor system, subject to checks.

However, if over 1000, it eliminates sending by registered mail I was told, as the proper papers can not be attached to envelopes. So it is either some other form, or as a parcel.

I recently had that experience with Gaertner. 2 small Canadian coins valued at Euro 1003 arrived as a parcel. Parcel was actually opened by German Export customs at the Frankfurt Airport postal customs office. It was resealed with customs tape with a stamp explaining why it was opened. ( for verification of export declaration) the item was shipped as "WorldParcel Express" via DHL and took all of 19 days to get to Western Canada. shipping cost was Euro 23, of which I paid Euro 12.

had they shipped the two coins in two envelopes, cost would have maximum been Euro 10 and the envelopes would have been here in Max. 6 days.

Further, had they NOT added my shipping part of Euro 12 to the invoice, they would have been under $ 1000.... I rest my case.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Thanks YQQ. Helpful info!