Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

RIP, Angie

Longtime CU members were introduced to Angie (as my avatar) over 10 years ago - not long after I joined CU. She was part of my life for over 15 years, and today we had to say goodbye to her. She had a stroke sometime late Christmas Eve/early Christmas morning, and I couldn't put it off any longer. It's easily one of the toughest things a man is tasked to do - today was the hardest by far. She was a damn good dog, and a fantastic friend.

Her drug of choice was a frisbee. I'll never forget her racing across our yard and catching them in the air every time. When she started to slow down a little, we'd play hallway frisbee for hours. She made me laugh out loud with sheer delight every time we'd play. I'm gonna miss her a lot.

Thanks (hopefully) for indulging my OT thread. I know some frown on it, but I firmly believe we can and should share life outside our collections of pictures of men. Like I said, Angie has been part of my CU experience darn near as long as I've been here. My old time friends here have known her for a long time.

Comments

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I hate it when this happens. Sorry for your loss.
  • MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    Cute dog, sorry for your loss. We had to put one of our boxers down this summer and, you're right, it's a very hard thing to do.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss Geordie, I dread the day I suffer such a loss again.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • lilmulelilmule Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Sorry to hear about your dog, that is a great loss of a best friend.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    It's never easy. My pal Ralph has been gone for 25 years and I still miss him.
  • 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Very sorry for your loss. You just cant beat the companionship of a loving dog.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful dog. But better to put them down one day too soon than one day too late. It's always hard and I cry like a baby.

"Molon Labe"

• No one will dare complain about where this thread belongs.

Im so sorry to hear about your loss. Its as devastating as any loss. I know. My prayers go out to Angie.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I'm very sorry to hear of your loss Geordie.

Brian
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Losing a pet is hands down one of the hardest things in life. I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can find some comfort in the fact that you gave her an awesome life.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so sorry for your loss. I can see in her eyes and smile the love

the two of you had for each other. She had a loving companion, so

many don't. The two of you are in my prayers.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so sorry for your loss. I can see in her eyes and smile the love

the two of you had for each other. She had a loving companion, so

many don't. The two of you are in my prayers.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Geordie ... sorry to hear about your loss.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Man, The only downside to love is at some point one of us has to say goodbye. I am really sorry about Angie. She was loved and that is a full life.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such heartbreaking news, Geordie. Take comfort in the fact that she was blessed to live a great life with you. My sincere condolences.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Geordie. As the "parent" of 2 aging dogs myself, I shudder to think of the sadness that comes when they cross the rainbow bridge. Take solace in the fact that she lived a wonderful life and you are both so much better off for the amazing memories and time you spent together.
    Go Dodgers!
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Hey Geordie

So sorry to hear about Angie. image

Pets are so awesome. I know she had a great life with you

RIP
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    So Sorry for your loss, Geordie. I remember how difficult this is. You had a lot of great times with her, and I hope those memories always bring a smile to your face.

Hang strong, friend.

• mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss G.

------
    stupid print dots

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear this.....

My condolences

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Sorry to hear about Angie. As someone with two pets, I completely understand what a loss that is. One of mine is already 12 years old and so I am a lot more attentive to her knowing that I have a couple to a few (if lucky) good years left with her.

RIP Angie image
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear. I lost my St. Bernard Hunter last year and it still hurts. They are truly a part of the family.
  • royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Very tough indeed.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about it - she was a beautiful pet and I'm sure an integral part of your family. Been there before and with an aging lab, will be there again. Non-pet owners don't understand the bond.
    Daniel
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear this news. All dog lovers are grieving with you.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    My condolences go out to you. The bond you guys had was truly special. I pray for comfort for you at this time.

Nathan
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My prayers & condolences.
  • kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. I've had to do that as well and it is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Joe
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the kind words, advice, thoughts and prayers. I know full well that the pain will ease in time; I've been down this road before, although the others weren't quite as special as Angie. We have another dog to comfort us, and she's a fantastic pet as well. She's seems to show signs of knowing her sister is missing, but she'll be okay. My wife and I both knew this day was coming, although we certainly didn't know it would be in the form of a stroke. She'd been slowing down quite a bit the past few years, and as her stamina and energy dropped, she gained weight. Happens to a lot of old dogs.

We'll definitely get another dog to keep Nikki company and will start at the local shelter. While the poignant commercials don't get me to pull my wallet out for a monthly donation, they do at least make me want to rescue a dog that would otherwise be put down for lack of a family.

Geordie
  • Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your loss. She was a cute lab. I know how you feel I lost mine about two years ago. She to was quite a good puppy dog.

Cory
  • Geordie,'I'm sorry for your loss.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Very hard to do, sorry for your loss..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geordie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I have never had a pet, but I've been told it is like losing a close family member. My best friend Bobby lost his dog Smokey almost 30 years ago and I still remember how devastated he was.

My condolences to you and your family.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Sorry to hear about your huge loss. I have had to put down three wonderful dogs in my lifetime all of which were my best friends.

I believe in my heart of hearts that God gave us these amazing animals so that our lives would be much more enjoyable and less stressful which in turn enables us to live a healthier and longer life as well. They are indeed truly remarkable animals!!!

"You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • So sorry for your loss. They become a big part of our lives.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • I really want to call you Gelbie, or tell you that frisbees spin right round like a record, but this is not the thread for such.

A beautiful dog and friend. RIP.
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Geordie,

I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your faithful friend. Stay strong and remember the good times.

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to see this, Geordie. Prayers to you and your family. Coming from a family who has always had pets and made them family members, I feel your pain.

Just do your best to remember all the love and wonderful memories! You gave her a great life and she surely would not have chosen anyone else for her family.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geordie, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you can find comfort in the fact that you were as loyal to Angie as she was to you. I wish I had the words, my friend. Thoughts and prayers sent your way.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geordie
    Sorry to hear of your loss. The more love we have the more difficult the separation.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry for your loss. I am sure that you have given her a great life and one of shared happiness.
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Ugh, so sorry to hear. People without dogs often don't understand how they truly become part of our families, and how hard something like this can be.

Murph has been my avatar probably for most of his 8 1/2 years to date, and brings as much joy to my family as we ever could imagine. I can't fathom what it would feel like if something happened to him.

Condolences from Murphy and me....

Scott
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I've lost two cats this year, so I feel your pain. It's so hard now, but time does heal all wounds. My condolences.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. Time will help but I remember when I was 19 and we put down our 16yr old dog. I cried the whole time from the house and back.
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Very sorry Geordie
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    I am very sorry to hear of the tragic loss of your beloved Angie. The fact she graced your avatar speaks eloquently of your feelings for her. You were right to bring your loss to our attention. A big bear hug to you, my friend. It's been over 35 years since my mother had to put down my dear Siamese Cat, Bootzie. Pets ARE part of our family. The pain is real.

No doubt you "shared" your hobby with her, and excitedly told her as well of your latest acquisitions! She could only understand your happiness, and basked in the attention, wagging her tail.

Please, brother, keep her as your avatar. Maybe you'll find another wonderful pup to play frisbee with later on in 2016. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    Sad news

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss, peace to you and Angie. I lost my beloved chocolate lab, named Chocolate Chip, 2 1/2 years ago. Not a day goes by where I don't think about her and the fun we had.
  • samspopsamspop Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Tough loss Geordie. What an integral part of your family pets become. Amazing opportunity that you were blessed with 15 years with Angie.
  • Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....