Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

my 52 topps thread

First off let me say I wish I'd never have posted what I thought was a legit product in the Christmas Rack pack by universal treasures. When I saw it for the first time I thought it was legit. After the remarks by some of the members on the last post, the only good that came out of that was finding out that it was a bogus site and the product was BS. What did surprise me was the negative tone at which many of the posts came at me with. I was hoping for some positive feedback ... maybe a buyer beware would have helped. I guess I understand though, you people are trying to protect your fellow collectors and the hobby itself. But honestly, a member of the board has kindly steered me away to a more civilized forum where I can ask questions and not be harassed at the same time. Bottom line is that I didn't know it was bogus, and I wish I could delete the entire thread. If I can then someone let me know how please.

With regards to the 52 topps set, I guess about 3 years ago I decided to tackle this monster and the first card I purchased was the Pafko in a PSA 5 red back. At first I thought I would just go for PSA 4's and 5's - but my taste buds got sweeter and decided to try and make the final average grade of the set 6.0. So I've been upgrading quite a few over the last two years or so ... just today arrived two PSA 6 cards that were upgraded from PSA 5's. Those were #41 and #162 Wellman and Crandell respectively. I've definitely had to learn patience in collecting this set. I do try and find one's that are well centered. But I only have one PSA 4 left to upgrade - that being the 358 Kucab. The high numbers have been my primary focus lately. I just landed two PSA 6 high numbers on Koshorek and Fondy. (spelling might be off on Clem).

I was fortunate to meet a guy who who's collecting the set and he's upgrading his from 5's and 6's to 7's and 8's. He's currently #16 on the current list - but he's only missing the Mantle and Mathews. As for my Mantle, I was very lucky to get that in the set. I had been saving for quite some time - lots of golf lesson money and tournament winnings. Unfortunately my golf career never took off although I still play in some local mini series events and my Saturday and Sunday group where lots of money can change hands. I live in an area where there are lots of good players ... it's all about putting though, if I'm making putts I'm bringing home money. But since my time has passed to ever make it on the big boy tour, I've decided to go back and finish school and go teach on the high school level.
Anyway back to the Mantle ... guy was selling the one I purchased on ebay for 35k at the time it was worth 18k. I got in touch with him and asked him what it would take for it to be had for cash. I met him in New Orleans, gave him 19.5k in cash and now it's worth 43.5k. It's been crazy watching this card explode in value over the last year or so. I feel like I bought it at the perfect time. The original seller has quite an impressive collection and has offered to buy the card and set but I've declined. I enjoy the chase just as much as I do the cards.

So that's where I'm at ... 62% of the way through and still need a few big dogs - the Jackie, Campy, and Ed Mathews. But the biggest of em all is out of the way. My son who is 5 months old better have a full ride to school ... the wife thinks this set is going to pay for his college. I say student loans if he can't throw it 90 mph or shoot 68!
I hope this clears everything up ... I may or may not update this thread periodically. I can see why people jumped on me for posting a bogus product. But the jerk comments seem to be still continuing even after I acknowledged the error. To those who were nice about it ... thanks for being informative and professional. To those who acted like their sh## don't stink, you're clowns.

Ingram's 52 Topps Set

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Take a deep breath and hit the return button once in awhile to make paragraphs image

Good luck with your set. There is a thread in here somewhere in which we group posted the set.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    You can delete the thread. If I remember correctly you can hit delete at the bottom of the original post. Have fun and hope you finish up your set.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Looks like you are well on your way to tackling the post-war Monster. A couple of years ago I began putting together a low-mid grade 1952 set. It is definitely a marathon, not a sprint, for me but the chase is fun. Continued luck on your quest.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping Jr. throws 93 with movement or shoots 67 at my house as well. If not my Mantle will be going towards his freshman and sophomore years! Welcome aboard.

PS - I am sure you can make some extra change on here setting up putting and short game lessons by video image
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll pay 40k for that Mantle. PM me if interested
  • Options
    Bishop I promise I hit the return button bro, maybe I need to hit it twice to seperate the paragraphs. Not sure why it's all in one big mess ... gonna try and edit it. Obviously I'm new here at posting on these boards ... what do you mean where you say "we group posted the set?"
  • Options
    Originally posted by: addicted2ebay
    I'll pay 40k for that Mantle. PM me if interested

Sorry bro, not selling my crown jewel anytime soon. If it wasn't for that paper loss on the surface, I think it'd be a 6 possibly a 7.
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    That is an impressive set. Wouldn't mind just having one of those cards lol. If you want to be a nice Secret Santa and send the Mays over this way I wouldn't complain image. Im not greedy and wanting the Mantle, well if you want to be even a nicer Secret Santa I wouldn't complain about the Mantle image.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Legit set you have there. The Mantle is extremely nice and I will give you $48,000 if you want to sell the card. I am not kidding.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Mick ya got there. Rare centering and bold color. Cool story hearing about when you grabbed it, and for how little it was back then. That baby gets 60k baseline and maybe even 75k at a major AH today, considering what 6s that look just as nice now cost. Someone paid 133k for the last really nice PSA 6 that hit the block at Goodwin. A PSA 5 that was not as nicely centered as yours hit 57k a couple months back at Heritage. If someone paid 57k for the Heritage 5, I'd pay an extra three grand easy for the better centering yours has. Looking at the 6 as the most recent barometer, a 5 like yours could entice a bidding war among those who want a great one but want to stay below the 6 digit cost of a 6, and so 75k would not surprise me for that card. Even the great looking SGC 4 over at Goodwin now is costing someone 30k and that auction has a ways to go. Overall that 52 Set is really nice and if the Mick is any overall indicator it looks like you've been picking great examples! Congrats on the set and grabbing that Mick before it made its latest surge.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Nice Set!!
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    That's a nice 52 Mantle. I remember that one--Levi was selling that a few years ago. That was one I looked at, and the centering is fantastic. Just a great card you have there.

IIRC, it's not paper loss on his neck; it's additional paper as it rises above the surface of the card. Paper loss would put this at a 1 to 1.5.

I agree with Matt's market assessment of what the card could potentially fetch should you decide to sell. The 52 Mantle is going nuts lately.

Nice to see this thread, and I'm glad you didn't purchase that 52 Christmas pack.

• Options
    Wow thanks for the info fellas. Interesting that I thought it was paper loss on the card, didn't know the details about that… Thanks for sharing. I've tried to get mostly centered cards or the best I could in the set so far… The only one that's really not that well centered is the PSA six Yogi. Wife bought it for me for Christmas last year off eBay ... she got a good price it's just not centered great at all, surprised that it didn't get an OC, but other than that the rest of them are pretty well centered. The Dave Philly card is a PSA 7 MC that I will get rid of. I won't have any qualifiers in this set. I'm getting ready to scan all the cards I have and upload them so they are visible to the community. Having some issues scanning them though… Trying to fix that problem so just the card shows and not all the empty white space ... And yes I'm very pleased I didn't buy that bogus rack pack that shady company is peddling to unsuspecting buyers.
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Awesome set. Thanks for sharing. That mantle is awesome and is worth way more than you're guessing

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic iconic set! Congrats on the progress so far. Some really beautiful cards there.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Great looking set, good luck with it.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set. Mantle is very nice

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: cardcountry
    Awesome set. Thanks for sharing. That mantle is awesome and is worth way more than you're guessing

Jeff

Jeff I really had no idea the card is worth more than what the SMR guide says, which values it at 43.5k for the PSA 5 ... and reading what the rest of you have to say about the value of it itself is while taking into account recent auction house's sales along with the fact that the centering is good makes me stunned. I knew it was centered well but didn't realize what a premium it commands on the Mantle with those characteristics. I'm amazed guys - really.

I'm gonna post a few PSA 5 52's I've recently upgraded into 6's on the buy/sell/trade area. Being new here in the community, anything I need to know as far as pricing goes? Stick to SMR value guide? One of them is #41 low number Wellman red back, another low #80 Wehemeir red back, and then the #162 Crandell. All PSA 5's ... any adivice is welcomed before I post them on the buy/sell/trade forum.

But great info on my Mantle card guys ... definitely didn't know that it's not actually paper loss on the card. Thanks for everyone's input.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great set! The website Vintage Card Prices (VCP) is the "guide" most of us refer to for pricing. Nothing is perfect but relying on SMR alone is not the way many of us discuss pricing when it comes to buying and selling. There are drawbacks to VCP, just like any pricing guide, but it is if nothing else a very good reference when buying high dollar cards.

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/

Good luck!

-Nathanael
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: PGAprocollector

I'm gonna post a few PSA 5 52's I've recently upgraded into 6's on the buy/sell/trade area. Being new here in the community, anything I need to know as far as pricing goes? Stick to SMR value guide? One of them is #41 low number Wellman red back, another low #80 Wehemeir red back, and then the #162 Crandell. All PSA 5's ... any adivice is welcomed before I post them on the buy/sell/trade forum.

I can tell you the VCP on each in PSA "5":

Wellman = $25.00

Wehmeier = $58.00

Crandall = $27.00

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.