Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post Your Favorite Pick Up's of 2015

I felt like seeing some cool cardboard from my fellow board members from this past year.

Comments

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    2015 was an incredible year for me. My second full year back in collecting, and I was in full-on acquisition mode.

The year started with a January visit from Hank:

Mickey dropped by in the middle:

Ted showed up shortly thereafter:

And Jackie capped it all off in December:

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Some great star power here so far. As a big Aaron fan, I'm digging that '54 Topps card. Here are my big winners for this year: Three tougher cards for my 1971 Topps set build and the rookie card of Rod Carew. The Carew card was on my beginning of 2015 goals. Maybe 2016 will see a Seaver rookie card.

Daniel
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread. Dnice thanks for starting it. Always fun to see some favorites from everyone from the past year. An awesome start with some killer rookies (Aaron, Mantle, Clement etc...)

A few favorites of mine for the year

Picked this Wilt rookie up to start the new year this past year

[url=http://imgur.com/Y3DYrz5]image[/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/LmuVzdE]image[/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/YuhvQe0]image[/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/mZjiLPh]image[/url]
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was having a really hard time narrowing my list, so I made myself pick NON YAZ items. Here are my favorite 4 other cards I picked up this year:

Got my first T206, of a player from my home state, given to me by a very generous secret Santa. Thanks Ethan!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Here are some low graded cards of THE MICK (my idol growing up) that I picked up this year:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Doug, I always like watching you add MICK cards, and the Red Heart and Stand Up are outstanding!!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Probably my favorite card pickup of the year.

• Options
    Thanks Dan. I see some of the ones you picked up, but what was your favorite YAZ card that you acquired this year?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, great stuff so far guys and a great idea for a thread Marc!

My favorite two acquisitions are the following. I picked this up in March from Stephen (galaxy27). Not only did I acquire this 84 topps football rack box fasc but also gained a cool friend to talk cards with.

This was my top card acquisition during the year. I picked this up from Jeff from Card Country at the 2015 National. Another class act and cool guy!

• Options
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

Thanks Dan. I see some of the ones you picked up, but what was your favorite YAZ card that you acquired this year?

Doug, thanks for asking. As I mentioned, it was really hard to narrow down. But what gets me most excited in collecting is low-pop vintage. With that criteria, I narrowed it down to 5. I know, not very narrow. But here goes.

Pop 3, no PSA 8's, and only 3 higher

Picked up 3 Venezuelans this year, but the other one is ROUGH. These were the nicest 2. Many thanks to Manny for the '68 and the next one as well.

Pop 1, only 2 higher. Thanks Manny!

First and only copy (so far) graded by PSA.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my favorite pick up of the year:

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    The Red Heart Mantle PSA 4 looks way under graded. Nice cards.
  • Options
    Here are a few of my pick-ups for my 1986-1993 Jordan PSA 10 Collection
    imageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    Casey wins! Lol
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Some serious cardboard picked up in 2015. Congrats to all! 2015 was very good for me. I expect 2016 to be much slower, but 2015 will power me through. image

imageimageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One from the beginning of the year, one from the end!

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy a lot of singles. As some of you know I started working on a Red Heart set this year. This is my favorite card in my set.

James

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2015 was a year of some epic pickups for me. There is one more to add that I have yet to reveal and fulfilled every collecting dream of mine. Happy New Years and I hope for a happy and prosperous 2016 for all!

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Hi Casey,

Did you send the Orr rookie in to get signed, or did you buy it signed?
  • Options
    I sent it.
  • Options
    AWESOME pickups guys! Those cards are amazing. I hope each of you enjoy all the new additions to your PC.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea for a thread. I thought it was a little bit of a slow year but after going through my 2015 purchases on EBAY I added more then I realized.

This is a beautiful card and the last card in the 1983 set. I already had one of the other 9's but this one is nicer.

I will never probably know if this is legit or not but if it is a fake I see no reason why the seller doesn't try a few more times and she hasn't and I haven't seen any other examples either.

Bruiser Brody thanks to Youtube has become one of my favorite wrestlers of all time.

I was able to acquire this in a trade and nice to have a strong copy of the card.

I self subbed two 9's this year which is really exciting.

This is probably the greatest thing I have ever purchased for myself. I got this signed when I did a meet and great with the Nature Boy.

I picked up the only known uncut sheet of the 1982 A and there is only one other known sheet of the 1982 B.

I was able to add this card and the Fabulous Moolah that is on its way to improve my top 1982 A set.

This card is ridiculously tough to find in general and this is the highest graded copy so far.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year!

Great cards, guys. I really like the variety shown here to date.

My favorite pick-up has to be my Orr PSA 8 1968 OPC #2. Still happy about this one.

-Nathanael

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Dan----Thanks for posting the Carl Yaz 67 team issue. Simply marvelous, what a radiant smile. That beauty stands out as a beacon, and with it being a 1967 team issue, it all comes together to express SIGNIFICANCE. Congrats.

CollectorAtWork---If one could have but one period Babe Ruth card, you have it. I have seen this one before, but never tire to seeing it! Perfect Babe image, all the way. Congrats.

Doublestriker---Breathtaking run of Jordans. Would you please kindly elaborate to us of the significance of the two different Beam Team beauties you presented for our appreciation? Why are they stamped "MEMBERS ONLY"? Does this mean they are different from the other scarce Stadium Club Beam Team Jordan inserts?

Regardless, you've been busy spending and conquering some gorgeous, tough MJs! Bravo!

MULLINS5--I've never seen that Joe Sakic---super tough. Naturally, I dig how he's lookin' right at you. I cannot imagine a better Sakic, if you could only have one card. Way da go, bro!

---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    This was in my top ten pickups of the year. I thought this was one of the coolest posters when I was a teenager, and it still is. One day I'll get The Iceman to sign it.

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PSASAP

This was in my top ten pickups of the year. I thought this was one of the coolest posters when I was a teenager, and it still is. One day I'll get The Iceman to sign it.

I had this on my wall in the early 80s. It still may be tucked in a closet somewhere. Definitely one of the coolest posters.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I was more excited about posting this until I saw Bob's 5.5! image

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my big purchase of 2015. I'm going to slow down a little this year while my wife is going back to school for her masters.

• Options
    LOVE that Mick, Paul ... repeat after me ... PINHOLES ARE YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

• Options

The members only were only released in factory sets in limited quantities. The 93 Beam Team Members Only is a pop 4.

Originally posted by: IndianaJones
    Dan----Thanks for posting the Carl Yaz 67 team issue. Simply marvelous, what a radiant smile. That beauty stands out as a beacon, and with it being a 1967 team issue, it all comes together to express SIGNIFICANCE. Congrats.

CollectorAtWork---If one could have but one period Babe Ruth card, you have it. I have seen this one before, but never tire to seeing it! Perfect Babe image, all the way. Congrats.

Doublestriker---Breathtaking run of Jordans. Would you please kindly elaborate to us of the significance of the two different Beam Team beauties you presented for our appreciation? Why are they stamped "MEMBERS ONLY"? Does this mean they are different from the other scarce Stadium Club Beam Team Jordan inserts?

Regardless, you've been busy spending and conquering some gorgeous, tough MJs! Bravo!

MULLINS5--I've never seen that Joe Sakic---super tough. Naturally, I dig how he's lookin' right at you. I cannot imagine a better Sakic, if you could only have one card. Way da go, bro!

---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Doublestriker---Thank you for taking the time to enlighten me on the Beam Team insert differentiation. I appreciate it, bro. Though I do not collect Mr. Jordan, you have shown what I perceive as excellent taste in your selections. The reason I say this is because I do remember the early 90s when Topps released their Stadium Club basketball cards. Outstanding quality. My nephew was telling me at the time how he and his friends were fervently wanting any of the Beam Team insert cards. I guess they were hot as lava then. I seriously doubt they've cooled off very much in that time. Genuine scarce quality cards are always very desirable, and Mr. Jordan was the best, although as I recall the other player guys wanted then was Shaquille O'Neil, the rookie sensation. Methinks the "test of time" will place MJ at the top. That was a fun time in the NBA, especially if you were a Bulls fan. Take care. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some of my favorite pickups from 2015.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    great stuff, really like the 68 opc orr, I still need to get that card.

picked up a lot of nice stuff this year but this is definitely #1

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^Never saw that item before, very cool. Was there a sticker box produced for every team?
  • Options
    Nice items so far. This year I sold off a lot of items in order to purchase a few higher end stuff. These are my top 3 for 2015.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Duncan, when I saw you posted in this thread I knew you would be showing the box; you do realize I could've torn it in half when you let me hold it a couple months ago?!?!image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PaulMaul

^^^^Never saw that item before, very cool. Was there a sticker box produced for every team?

No, it was a test issue only issued in Boston and Pittsburgh markets for those 2 teams. They just so happened to be issued in 1967, which turned out to be a magical year for Yaz and the Sox. The Yaz from the set was my white whale for a while and my PSA 7 is my favorite item in my whole collection.

Duncan, I can't tell, is the box empty or full? Either way, it is AWESOME!

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

Originally posted by: PaulMaul

No, it was a test issue only issued in Boston and Pittsburgh markets for those 2 teams. They just so happened to be issued in 1967, which turned out to be a magical year for Yaz and the Sox. The Yaz from the set was my white whale for a while and my PSA 7 is my favorite item in my whole collection.

Duncan, I can't tell, is the box empty or full? Either way, it is AWESOME!

The box is empty. If it was full and he won it for the price he did, I most definitely would've torn it in half (but only after removing all 24 packs first).

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, first post!

2015 was a very good year for me, I was fortunate to add a number of cards to my Dallas Cowboys card collection. Hope you enjoy them.

Tom Landry Rookie

Don Meredith Rookie

Bob Lilly Rookie

1966 Bob Lilly

Chuck Howley Rookie

1969 Chuck Howley

1972 John Niland Rookie

2003 Jason Witten Rookie

Steve