Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Cleaning out the closet

So my wife has me spending a couple of days of our "staycation" cleaning out the storage in the loft of our house. Going through the boxes I've found all kinds of things: signed autobiographies of Bear Bryant and Joe Torre, my high school valedictory address that I wrote out, the list goes on. I blew my kids' mind when I pulled this bad boy out and it worked after being in storage for 22 years or so:

Try that with a hoverboard!
Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
www.questfortherookiecup.com

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one that I wore out between the ages of 8 to 11
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I need one of those again. Gosh that had to be back in 1979 if I recall?
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. I believe you are correct in the 1979 time period. I would have been 9 then. I went and got a 9 volt battery and turned it on and my 16 year old watched as I drove down the field for a touchdown on the first possession. You should have seen his face as he marveled at the technology of the day!
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    We just got my father in law a new one of these - they've re-released them. My brother and I used to sneak these into detention. Back in the early 80s we got put in the dark room which was the ditto machine room with the lights off. I feel old for several reasons now.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I found one of these at a thrift store recently for $2.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    $6.99 at Kmart - I bought 2 to give as gifts for Christmas. Ended up getting one of them something else and kept one of the games for myself.

Still fun
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I had one of those in 1981. So much fun.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Add me to the list. I had Basketball, football and Hockey.

They remade these a few years ago. I noticed them on the shelves at I think Walmart
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Had one as well. Spent a lot of time playing that little game as a kid.

I'm pretty sure Intellivision Football made me retire it.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: yankeesman
    Yep. I believe you are correct in the 1979 time period. I would have been 9 then. I went and got a 9 volt battery and turned it on and my 16 year old watched as I drove down the field for a touchdown on the first possession. You should have seen his face as he marveled at the technology of the day!

Yah but I bet you were playing in slow mode?! image

I think we all had them as kids. My buddy and I used to run to the coat closet in 6th grade at lunch time to play one. That would have been the 1978-79 school year.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Great memories. Used to get a different one every Christmas. First was auto race, then the Football I, then Football II. My Dad got the Basketball I one year. Favorite was Basketball II, which let you pick your defense and had a 3 point shot. The Soccer II is kind of a hard one to find for sale now.