Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dipped Seated Liberty dimes...does the dip look good/bad from photos?

Hi, I ran across and 1869-S Seated Dime from this seller on eBay and then looked at sellers other items and it looks like it's an entire run of Seated Liberty dimes, all dipped white.

From the looks of it, and photos are a 50/50 crap shoot always, the dip job is bad. Some spots were missed (or couldn't dip out) and the dip was not properly rinsed from most of the coins (you can almost see it caked on more/less on some coins), but some here are more trained in spotting dip residue.

What are your thoughts? Were these properly conserved or were these quickly dipped and will turn soon?

Looking forward to your input...

Comments

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    A rather head-scratcher of a group in my opinion. The seller appears to a PNG Dealer which may raise an eyebrow to some.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    I would not attempt to cross these unless you want to lose the cam desg. There are many hazy spots that do not seem to be from the holder and were I to buy these they would all come out go into a very warm baking soda bath, rinsed with distilled water then put in an album for a couple of years.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of the 22 NGC certified Proof and Mint State offerings, only one coin has an active bid with 3-4 hours left on any lot. Unless you expect that quite a few have snipe bids awaiting, the above circumstance should be a clear message.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The few I looked at don't look like bad dip jobs; they simply look like bad coins to dip.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB

The few I looked at don't look like bad dip jobs; they simply look like bad coins to dip.

Agreed. It is rather sad that none of these dimes have the slightest trace of color. image

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought dipping is what the TPG's promote?

Luster is rewarded in grading rather than a fully toned somewhat muted luster coin.

Why not dip then and get a higher grade?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did anybody bother asking if he had then conserved and graded?
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite being an avid toning enthusiast, it is refreshing to see seated coinage that isn't a dull, grey color, but rather, blast-white and lustrous, as it came from the mint.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    The only proof that would have a chance to cam on a cross would be the 73, imo.

There may be a few that like old coins blast white? They are ruined for me.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    The 1873 closed 3 didn't sell. I wouldn't buy any of them. Anyone know the dealer???
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Looks like coins that have been run through the NCS mill. I don't really like how

white they are, but I guess someone thinks it makes them more marketable?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 69-s looks pretty blasty and fresh. Luster on the rims, head detail is absolutely hammered. Obverse fields pretty clean. Only issue I would have is paying $2500 for an MS64. Not that it couldn't be worth that....rather, the date is available in 64 and 63. It's not look there are more choice unc set collectors than there are coins available. Overall I sort of like this 69-s. The photos don't show any wipe lines but they could be there. I don't like the other MS64 "S" mint due to obv field scrapes. Dealer is Steinmetz. They've been around a long time.

I wouldn't be too worried about the 69-s turning. And even if it does, you'll have plenty of time to see it starting and move it. Even with a good dip some of that deep encrusted stuff inside the numerals, etc. isn't gonna come out easy.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Still would like to know if anyone knows who the dealer is on these????
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: winky

Still would like to know if anyone knows who the dealer is on these????

Originally posted by: roadrunner

Dealer is Steinmetz. They've been around a long time.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I often wonder if there are enough people interested in unnaturally white silver to support these "miraculously untoned beauties" 150+ year old silver is not naturally snow white. Ive seen the raw ones hes selling, with all the hairlines on them they would play on a record player ! albeit, the "Music" would sound like knives on a chalkboard
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Thanks Kyle, I missed roadrunner post.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few of his white raw coins are whizzed.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Based on photo, this 69-S is market acceptable. Only you can decide whether this coin fits into your set.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: winky

Thanks Kyle, I missed roadrunner post.

You're welcome.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file