Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

French Colonial

I picked this up a few days ago but am not sure it is real. It has been polished and holed. I would like to know for sure if fake before I return it. I have not been able to find any specs on the coin, especially the weight. I weighed it at 3.61 grams but have nothing to compare it to.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a PCGS MS62 and an ATS MS62 for comparison. The PCGS and ATS pieces appear to vary slightly.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    You'll probably do better on the World Coin Forum
    If you are happy with it, keep it and don't worry about it.
    It's most likely genuine.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    Ford had 4 examples sold raw by Stack's in 2006 with weights as follows: 57.1, 57, 55 and 57.1 grains, which calculates as 3.7, 3.7, 3.6 and 3.7 grams. None of those were holed, of course.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the help. The coin is listed in the Redbook so I thought it would be better here. But that ATS piece has a France Krause number of 453. I looked it up in Krause and the weight is 4.07 grams of similar denomination which is considerably over my coin's weight of 3.61 grams. Even with the missing spot, it is probably too light to be real. I will also post on the WCF.
  • Options
    I think the weight of the Ford pieces (which are of this same exact type) indicate pretty clearly that yours is in the ballpark of a genuine specimen.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zoins
    Here's a PCGS MS62 and an ATS MS62 for comparison. The PCGS and ATS pieces appear to vary slightly.

im not into foreign that much but do like this.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gut feeling is genuine, abused.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Gut feeling is genuine, abused.

Agreed.

• Options
    I do appreciate the opinions. The "hair blotch" bothers me, it is on no others that I have seen. I need to find an x-ray gun to determine if it is made of silver. Hopefully, there is one in Omaha. Thank you for your help.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: HoledandCreative

I do appreciate the opinions. The "hair blotch" bothers me, it is on no others that I have seen. I need to find an x-ray gun to determine if it is made of silver. Hopefully, there is one in Omaha. Thank you for your help.

I saw the hair blotch and agree it's interesting and worth investigating. Have you decided if you are going to keep it, get it slabbed, etc.?
  • Options
    I am no expert on these and can only say that there are a lot of visual differences. I would also consider if genuine that the planchet was the wrong size in some way.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: HoledandCreative

Don't need that. Just do a careful specific gravity.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I want to get it X-rayed but am leaning toward returning it as fake because of its color and my gut.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file