Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

FUN Show 2016

Who is going to the Tampa FUN show next week?

I'll be there! image

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could literally ride my bike there in 15 minutes......I'll be there Saturday with my dad.
  • numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a 4 hour drive for me....arriving Wednesday leaving Sunday.I'll be at table 628.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there. Really looking forward to it this year! I have not been to Tampa in a long time and it will be a nice change of pace.
  • Fifteen years of collecting and this will be my FIRST FUN show. Looking forward to it!!
    The above is my two cents worth - adjusted for inflation, YOU OWE me money. Please pay promptly.

SPMC LM #371
  • Sorry but it's an 11 hour drive for me, so ya'll have fun (no pun intended).

My mistake as I miscalculated distance/time. It's actually 890 miles for me, which

translates into 14-15 hours; just too far.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Omega32
    Fifteen years of collecting and this will be my FIRST FUN show. Looking forward to it!!

Me too. How many days are you allowing to see the whole floor?
    Is two days enough?
  • Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: synchr

Fifteen years of collecting and this will be my FIRST FUN show. Looking forward to it!!

Is two days enough?

Hey synchr, That is tough to answer. All depends on your areas of interest. If it is a small subset, 2 days should be fine if you plan out your targets on the bourse. But if you are wide open in your areas of interest, then 3 days may be required.

For me personally looking at mostly small size US and all World, all 4 days can be a challenge for me to see it all.

I hope you and Omega32 stop by table 2045 and introduce yourselves and say HI!. I will be sharing some space with Robert Azpiazu of First City.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: techwriter
    Sorry but it's an 11 hour drive for me, so ya'll have fun (no pun intended).

11+ hours for me also but I will be there.
    I agree with Jim! I struggle to get through the entire bourse floor even when I am there for the duration. However, I often talk to folks who get through the whole thing in a couple of hours!!! ...usually in this case they are looking for something very specific. If a dealer doesn't have what they want they move on quickly and avoid window shopping.
  • Going to miss yet another FUN but my chances for a return to Memphis in June are looking good.
  • TCCUGATCCUGA Posts: 70 ✭✭
    Best show of the year, never miss it. Everyone is refreshed and energized from the holiday break and eager to buy and sell new material. I expect non-stop action. Mostly buying but plan to sell too. Wed. thru Sat. for me. Sharing a table w/Unlimited Currency.

Ty
    Buying Athens, GA nationals and obsoletes, for my personal collection
    Buying most large and small type notes and some nationals for inventory
    Originally posted by: Jim61

Is two days enough?

Hey synchr, That is tough to answer. All depends on your areas of interest. If it is a small subset, 2 days should be fine if you plan out your targets on the bourse. But if you are wide open in your areas of interest, then 3 days may be required.

For me personally looking at mostly small size US and all World, all 4 days can be a challenge for me to see it all.

I hope you and Omega32 stop by table 2045 and introduce yourselves and say HI!. I will be sharing some space with Robert Azpiazu of First City.

True enough.
    Will do,
    Known Robert Az for 20+ years
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be there Thursday around noon until early Saturday afternoon. I'm flying down this year - an hour and a half direct flight is so much easier than a 9-hour drive.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• I'm arriving on Wednesday and leaving mid-day Saturday. I have a hotel booked (across the street from the show), but am looking for a roommate to share the cost. P/M ASAP me if interested.
    * R. Shawn Hewitt
    * Enthusiast of Minnesota Notes
    * Researching non-star and pre-star replacement notes in the 1903-1920 era
    * Minnesota Paper Money
    -------------------------
  • mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    it's about a five day drive for me.... wait, yup not going. enjoy everyone.
  • I guess I'll have NO FUN in 2016. :-(
    So many notes to collect. So little time to do it.
  • SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    Not going this year.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I'm there from late Weds thru Sat. If anyone wants to go to dinner or hang out, let me know!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • OldBucksOldBucks Posts: 16 ✭✭✭
    I will be there. I am also a guest speaker on Thursday at 4:30. My topic is "Currency Doctoring Detection". Please stop by to listen and introduce yourself to me. This forum has been a valuble exchange of information for over a decade and the members I have met so far have been really great people.

Jeff

"Monstra Mihi Pecuniam" = "Show me the money!"
    "If nothing else, lets agree that we disagree"
    "The more I know, the more I know I dont know"
    Member of: PCDA, SPMC, ANA, IBNS, ISNA, ILNA, CSNS, CCC, MSNS, FUN
  • Any news or reports from the show?
  • Originally posted by: amrys
    Any news or reports from the show?

I'm on the internet. Meanwhile got from Heritage in the Florida sale a nice Egypt pound. No body wanted it, so I took it 400$ less from the law estimate.
    http://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path[1/3/4/9/6/13496021]&call=url[file:product.chain]
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could not make it this year.
    Great show, the bourse is great but only about 15-20% currency.

Thanks for the PCGS luncheon, the speaker was really good but I didn't know who he was, he never introduced himself and it wasn't in the slides. I asked 4 people at my table and nobody could ID him. The BIG TAKE-AWAY for me was how much more prevalent currency collecting is outside of the USA; where it is on par with coin collecting.

• I see only men in their 50-60s +
    Did you see some young guys and ladies there?

I'm a world notes collector, and the note collectors are mainly Arabs, Russians, Chinese and Germans.
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    What was the presentation on?

Originally posted by: Alex1176
    I see only men in their 50-60s +

I'm a world notes collector, and the note collectors are mainly Arabs, Russians, Chinese and Germans.

The luncheon was by invitation only for advanced collectors and dealers so was not an even representation of average age of people on the Bourse or in the Heritage Auction areas.

Sure there were many, many people under 50-60s there, several cute ladies and lots of kids. In fact, the center of the bourse had a huge contest display spanning several rows for kids who produced displays of coin & currency with clubs too. These were very impressive, some great historical presentations!

It was great to see several forum members stop by and say hello and chat a bit.

A very good show with good traffic which I was wondering about with the different location.

I snapped a quick pic standing on a chair to show the size of this one. BIG.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Great pic Jim!!!
    Originally posted by: Jim61
    It was great to see several forum members stop by and say hello and chat a bit.

A very good show with good traffic which I was wondering about with the different location.

I snapped a quick pic standing on a chair to show the size of this one. BIG.

Fun to chat with you
    Likewise to you as well. And all the others who stopped by and chatted and showed purchases.

Jim61

• OldBucksOldBucks Posts: 16 ✭✭✭
    I would like to thank the guys that stopped by my presentation on Currency Doctoring Detection. I have to admit I learn alot after speaking with everyone after I am done talking to the group. Picked up some great material for the next presentation.

Joe Boling had some excellent suggestions and even sourced me a copy of "US Dollars: Genuine or Counterfeit?" by Alexey Masich. A wonderful russian publication of the technical aspects of the US Supernotes.

Jeff
    "Monstra Mihi Pecuniam" = "Show me the money!"
    "If nothing else, lets agree that we disagree"
    "The more I know, the more I know I dont know"
    Member of: PCDA, SPMC, ANA, IBNS, ISNA, ILNA, CSNS, CCC, MSNS, FUN
    I enjoyed it, great job!!!
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Alex1176
    I see only men in their 50-60s +

The luncheon was by invitation only for advanced collectors and dealers so was not an even representation of average age of people on the Bourse or in the Heritage Auction areas.

Sure there were many, many people under 50-60s there, several cute ladies and lots of kids. In fact, the center of the bourse had a huge contest display spanning several rows for kids who produced displays of coin & currency with clubs too. These were very impressive, some great historical presentations!

People who have registry sets were also invited. I'm not an advanced collector or a dealer but I got invite and did attend.
  • KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Too tawl,

What was the presentation on and who was the presenter?????