Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The seven hills hoard

Anyone know how many coins were in the seven hills hoard or when it was "assembled" or disbursed?

Of anything else for that matter.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    It's primarily marketing is my guess. It's doubtful the coins were found anywhere in Italy, as Italy does not allow for the export of ancient coins or artifacts. If it was even a hoard in the first place. Might have just been an assembled group of coins from various sources, put into some fancy boxes and sold as a "hoard." If the coins were all truly from one source, I would guess they came from France, Germany or the UK.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's B.S., just like there is one that goes by "coliseum hoard". If a hoard was found at the coliseum, it sure as heck wouldn't be dispersed to collectors.

A CNG cataloger I talk to has even mentioned both are B.S.. As Josh as said " put into some fancy boxes and sold as a "hoard.", thats what it is.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Although by definition, a coin dealer/marketer could assemble a hoard of coins. It's just not a hoard as we are accustomed to using the term in ancient coins.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC pedigreed coins supposedly from the hoard, on the slabs. I have a denarius of Maximinus I Thrax that has "Seven Hills Hoard" on the NGC slab.

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. It was interesting because I pooped in (just kidding!), popped in a serial number into ngc cert lookup and got no pop or value results, just a grade and description and photo verification.

Thanks again
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good news is that you probably are not breaking any Italian antiquities laws by purchasing one of these "hoard" coins.

I read about this on Paul Barford's website, and while I enjoy his commentary, he cannot bring himself to see the collector perspective on any contentious issue.