Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why hasn't PCGS made a Peace Dollar sample??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
There are several at NGC.

Is there any logical reason why not??
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS 31437123 sold for $179.00 + $2.95 S&H on October 17, 2015:

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I guess you got your answer...
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    That was a commercially made "sample" by Fast Coins - doesn't count. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman

That was a commercially made "sample" by Fast Coins - doesn't count. image
    For those like me that are not in the know, what does that mean? More info please.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    FastCoin had several "PCGS samples" manufactured by PCGS - here is the explanation from my post related to PCGS samples by year. Issues included Lincoln cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, half dollars and silver dollars. After selling for high prices initially, the value quickly dropped off after the true nature of the "samples" became clear.

Non-Sample: These started appearing on ebay Nov. 2014, the Morgan selling for $250 as a BIN. It remains to be seen how common these are (some are being sold 10 at a time!) and I'm more inclined to include them here in the year category rather than as a true sample since they are pieces being made/sold for profit by a company rather than a true PCGS sample. After being told it was a one-off sample (by the seller) several more appeared around Christmas 2014 (Morgan and Peace dollars). Other denominations seen so far include Lincoln cents, Jefferson 5c, Mercury and Roosevelt dimes, WA quarters and Franklin/Kennedy 50c pieces. After seeing one in person, it's the old style blue-tint holder with the newer reverse sticker but with the prior hologram rather than the Dupont hologram. If nothing else, it's an interesting transition style.
  • Options
    Here's an example that includes the reverse.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman

FastCoin had several "PCGS samples" manufactured by PCGS - here is the explanation from my post related to PCGS samples by year. Issues included Lincoln cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, half dollars and silver dollars. After selling for high prices initially, the value quickly dropped off after the true nature of the "samples" became clear.

How can you order these? Do you need to indicate something on the submission form?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So kinda like the fake/retro doily that was done for one company...I guess.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Here's the reverse for PCGS 31437123 as well. Didn't notice that before. Per my question above, how does one order these?

imageimage
  • Options
    Not sure why you would want to, unless advertising your own venture. If so, then you would need to order a significant quantity. Just like Bowers and Marena, Silver Dollar Round Table, Diablo Collectors Society, etc.

So, back to the original question - Why hasn't PCGS issued a true sample featuring a Peace Dollar??
  • Options
    As to why make them, why not? It could be fun. Similar to why collect samples?

I'm not sure why PCGS hasn't made a "true" sample with the Peace dollar. Is that the only type coin they haven't made?
  • Options
    Well, from a purists perspective, it's about collecting samples that promote PCGS v. collecting commercially made samples to promote someone else exploiting PCGS's name. There's a big difference.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other type coins - haven't seen a chain cent sample lately - would happily pony up for a real PCGS Gobrecht sample.
  • Options
    This photo is from an eBay item that ended: Nov 23, 2011

It went for $380

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: greenwr

This photo is from an eBay item many years ago

If I remember right it went for $300-$400

Lakesammman's head is about to explode!

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    I was able to track down the buyer, it was a Pawn Shop in North Carolina...

They said they have had a few calls about it and the Peace Dollar sample was sold

Unfortunately image

• Options
    Lakesammman's head is about to explode!

Man - you ain't kidding! image

Hopefully there are more out there - not too many unique ones, other than the one Oreville recently posted.
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    I thought a 23-S Peace dollar was a PCGS sample, only one I have ever seen.

I was looking for the picture and some notes on it.

I was sure I have it somewhere. But you got the picture in first.

I remember watching that one and I did bid but not too high.
    Bob

• Options
    I found my email about the Peace Sample that was on eBay

Sold for $380

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file