Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

crossovers and population reports

My first post. I hope I can contribute to this fine forum. I collect pl and dmpl morgans, and I have a lot of coins in NGC or ANACS holders. I am wondering if it is worth it to attempt to crossover simply to qualify the coins for a registry. I don't expect upgrades, just straight crossovers -- 64pl to 64pl, etc. Of course I think a PCGS coin is preferred by most and may get the best sales price when that day comes, but on the down side, I seem to be contributing to "artificial" numbers in the population reports. I have population reports for all three companies, and some pl and dmpl years are scarce and rarely surface in any holder. It seems like I'm doing myself a little bit of a disservice crossing over by making it seem like there are more coins out there and thus maybe the value drops. Hmmmmm, any thoughts? It seems like registries could preserve population numbers by recognizing other companies, but then we all know, not every company offers the same quality, and no company is going to be quick to recognize their competitors products as being equal. I see NGC's acceptance of PCGS slabs as a good move on the part of NGC -- not many of us are going to run out and crossover PCGS coins to NGC to get in the NGC registry, but I don't see NGC recognizing ANACS anytime soon, although I am generally happy with NGC and ANACS, with a handfull of exceptions, as can be expected. Sooooo, to crossover or not crossover? image
I brake for ear bars.

Comments

• Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    If you believe the coin is properly graded, no need to send it in for crossover. PCGS seems to be hard on other services' coins, even the nice stuff. Statistics show only about 1/3 of all coins cross.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Hello Lava,
    Welcome to the boards. That is a very valid concern, and yes it does effect the pops from time to time. If you send in a coin to cross to pcgs, they will send you the cert tag from the old slab if it crosses, you SHOULD mail it into the the company that it came from, MOST of them will adjust their pop reports. I make it a practice to mail back the tag from the old slabs if, either crack out, or cross over. I hope this will help you make a decision. Have a great time here, and Mercs Rule! ( just having fun1!)imageimage
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    Welcome!!

Please do return the labels if you try to cross and are successful.

The question of crossing over has been discussed before. Most that try it are disappointed. There are two reasons to try a cross.

One is because you want to play PCGS's registry game. I like it but it is a game and can be expensive. For example it costs money to try a cross. Not all coins will cross, in fact most people are disappointed because most coins don't cross. So, to play the game, you need to allow coins to be downgraded by PCGS or you need to sell your non-PCGS coins and buy replacements. This is sometimes not satisfying and always expensive.

The other reason to cross is the coin is much more valuable in the PCGS holder and you want to sell. In this case, if you are an expert grader and know the PCGS standards you can guess what grade PCGS might give.

You can play the NGC registry game. It is new and should attract more colletions over time. They accept both NGC and PCGS coins. If you go that route you still couldn't register your ANACS coins.
  • Options
    Hey Lava
    Turn on your PM, I have A dmpl morgan you might be interested in.
    Thanks
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lava - if your entire set is NGC/ANACS and you want to play the Registry game without dying of stress, you have three choices:

1) Sell all your coins now & buy a current PCGS Registry set.
    2) Register on the NGC site and submit the ANACS coins for crossover.
    3) Submit to PCGS "crossover at any grade".

Unfortunately, two of those choices will cost you BIG BUCKS! If you can accept SOME stress, submit to PCGS the finest third or half of your collection for crossover at current grade. Then register on the NGC site after you go 1 for 100. (NO disrespect intended for your collection or your eye, PCGS is just horrible on crossovers these days).

• Options
    FYI...current PCGS crossover rate is 32% per their customer service department.
    It is possible for people to ask questions for no other reason than to educate themselves. The only stupid questions are those that are never asked.

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True Expieriences !!

Crossovers Submitted: 8

Coins Crossed: 3

Pretty Coins NGC and ANACS Sold To Obtain Same Grade PCGS Coins For Registry: 10+

Same Eye Appeal PCGS Coins Obtained in Same Grade: 1 with Another that is Acceptable.

Moral of Expiriment: Bone Head Collector Learned a Lesson about Buying the Coin and Not a Hunk of Plastic.

Thoughts On Registries: They are Much Fun but Not That Much Fun to Let Your Nice Coins Go Away to Move Up the Ladder.

Signed: Dope in Oregon
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "FYI...current PCGS crossover rate is 32% per their customer service department."

IMHO, take lower grade bullion gold out of that 32% figure, and expect the true figure to be closer to 10%-25%. Just trying to help image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Real life experiences Part 2:

ACG $5 Indian MS-62 to AU-58 (don't say anything, that was before I knew better) (CRACKOUT)
    NGC $10 No Motto Indian MS-61 to AU-58 (CROSS ANY)
    NGC $1 Gold Type 1 MS-61 to AU-58 (CROSS ANY)
    ANACS Flying Eagle AU-58 to AU-53 (CRACKOUT)
    ANACS Seated Dime Legend Obverse MS-62 to DNC CLEANED (CROSS ANY)
    ANACS Seated Half Dime Legend Obverse MS-61 to DNC CLEANED (CROSS ANY)
    ANACS Seated Half Dime Stars Obverse AU-58 to DNC CLEANED (CROSS ANY)
    Keith ™

• Options
    Opps !!! and to think I was not Happy.
      Lava Might be Getting the Point Here.image
    1. Options
      gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
      I am wondering if it is worth it to attempt to crossover simply to qualify the coins for a registry.

If you wish to collect registry points, then yes. If you wish to collect coins, then no.
    2. Options
      BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
      Wondercoin - Wednesday is hump day, did you have to depress us with your low, low crossover rate minus gold moderns for PCGS. You could have let us hallucinate a while that it was really 32%. Im so upset now I dont even want to finish eating my roots and berrys. Bear
      There once was a place called
      Camelotimage
    3. Options
      braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Ouch! That must mean, on my last submission, if I received an 80% crossover success rate there is someone out there with MUCH LESS than the 12% rate!

peacockcoins

4. Options
      Pat, we discussed this, I was 0 for 4 at same grade, so I balanced you out.
      Keith ™

5. Options
      Crossover is a zero sum game.
      Camelotimage
    6. Options
      Better Clarify on Mine. They were All submitted as Cross at Same Grade with No Coin Being Under MS63 and All Classic Mercury Dimes before 1928.
        One that Crossed was Bumped Up a Grade and Also Received the FB Designation that Was Not on it Before.
      1. Options
        IMHO, take lower grade bullion gold out of that 32% figure, and expect the true figure to be closer to 10%-25%. Just trying to help Wondercoin

The 10% figure is inline with the experiences of dealers that I know the results of their submissions. These are hand picked coins - not unscreened mass donations. And the majority of crossovers seem to be in low end grades where it really didn't matter - getting an expensive coin crossed might fall in the less than 1% category.

2. Options
        Fairlaneman - Well PCGS can make mistakes and actually give an accurate grade on a crossover, its nothing to be ashamed about. Bear
        Camelotimage
      3. Options
        lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
        Well, these well informed posts are all very sobering. I think I can spare myself of a lot of stress simply by opting for PCGS slabs when buying, even if it costs slightly more. I know you are probably thinking "buy the coin, not the slab," but all else being equal, I guess it is best to go with PCGS. I'm sure that is just the way they like it too, lol. Sorry to hear about your poor luck keithdagen, wow, I can see how people get turned off from crossover attempts.
        I brake for ear bars.
      4. Options
        I think I can spare myself of a lot of stress simply by opting for PCGS slabs when buying, even if it costs slightly more

Ouch - we've lost another to the darker side.....ain't marketing great!
      5. Options
        gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
        all else being equal, I guess it is best to go with PCGS.

Why? I always thought it was best to go with the best quality coin regardless of slab. A nice NGC coin is a hell of a lot easier to sell than a low-end PCGS coin of the same grade.
      6. Options
        lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
        If the crossover rate is 10% excluding gold, then that is really sobering since I'm assuming included in that 10% are coins that got crossed at "any" grade, which means a bunch of coins came back in new slabs at lower grades, but PCGS gets credit for having successfully crossed them over. How weird is that? I have been talked out of crossovers. As for future buying, definitely coin first, but two equally nice coins of same date and year, I guess I have to opt for PCGS. I would have been inclined to anyway, but I guess more so after realizing the unlikelihood of a successful crossover later. By the way, I'm assuming a coin submitted under restriction applies to mirrors also (crack only if 64dmpl) and I also assume that if they don't crack, I still get charged. Is that right? Any horror stories on coins cracked and then not graded at the restricted grade as requested?
        I brake for ear bars.
      7. Options
        I have a slightly better than %30 success rate for crossing at the same grade. I did not try modern gold bullion. It was worse at first, now that I am slightly more experienced it is slightly better.

I assumed the successful cross rate only meant for those crosses at the same grade. I have crossed a few specifying one grade lower, these crossed at one grade lower as expected except in two cases where they indeed crossed at the same grade. I have %100 success at crossing one grade lower. I have only tried NGC coins that looked better than other NGC coins of the same grade.

You will get charged for those that DNC, did not cross. For those that DNC every one was returned in the original holder. That has been my experience.
      8. Options
        A clarifification of "crossover" for newbies... if you break a coin out of a slab and submit it to PCGS it is not considered a crossover. A true crossover is submitted to PCGS while it isstill in another companies slab. If you break out a coin to submit it PCGS it will NEVER be calculated as a crossover since PCGS does not know it is indeed a crossover.
        It is possible for people to ask questions for no other reason than to educate themselves. The only stupid questions are those that are never asked.

9. Options
        I think his reaction is well reasoned, and within the bounds of wishing to be involved in the registry program makes good sense. Lets face it, the registry is fun. There is nothing wrong with having fun with your collection too, and if you want to make the reasoned allowances that the registry imposes certainly buying PCGS slabbed coins makes financial sense. Certainly more sense than trying the crossover game. I think his choice is correct for him.

I don't mean to resurect the "which is better" thread...but this was exactly what was meant when it was said that the registry plays a large part in the preference. It simply doesn't make financial sense for this collector to not buy PCGS graded coins if he wishes to do the registry.

Bo
      10. Options
        I think his reaction is well reasoned, and within the bounds of wishing to be involved in the registry program makes good sense. Lets face it, the registry is fun

Participating in a Registry IS fun and a source of enjoyment - if you avoid the pitfalls. Given the choice of paying a premium for the holder and cutting the available nice coins I can collect in half (not to mention the cost of selling and replacing or attempting to cross the coins I already owned in the wrong holder) or participating in an INCLUSIVE registry, I think I'd choose the inclusive registry!
      11. Options

<< <i>I think his reaction is well reasoned, and within the bounds of wishing to be involved in the registry program makes good sense. Lets face it, the registry is fun

Participating in a Registry IS fun and a source of enjoyment - if you avoid the pitfalls. Given the choice of paying a premium for the holder and cutting the available nice coins I can collect in half (not to mention the cost of selling and replacing or attempting to cross the coins I already owned in the wrong holder) or participating in an INCLUSIVE registry, I think I'd choose the inclusive registry! >>

That is certainly an option, and one I think is quite intrigueing. You are quite correct in pointing out the pitfalls, and the disadvantages that go hand in hand with limiting yourself to one grading service. We don't disagree on the issue TDN. However for him, as he has chosen this registry, I stand by my earlier statement.

Bo