Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New greysheet 50C commem. pricing wacked out.

OK, now I'm not happy. The greysheet now reflects coin pricing on three piece sets which are totally wacked, especially with the BTW and W/C series. The three piece pricing has been the norm since greysheet inception, with nicely matched sets going for substancially more than posted prices. Breaking down the sets to individual coins means there is no longer a premium for nicely matched sets and only per coin values. Not only that, some rare dates in the series are priced so low, that many prices of sets lost values of 10-50% over night. A 47D BTW in MS66 is not worth $250, but more like $500 as a single coin. A nicely matched set goes for $1300-$1500.

Sorry with the rant, but this per coin pricing just made many owners of the sets very unhappy.

TRUTH

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    I had the opposite reaction to this change -- I noticed that they are now doing coins individually and the first thought that came to my mind was, "It's about time.."

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: savoyspecial

I had the opposite reaction to this change -- I noticed that they are now doing coins individually and the first thought that came to my mind was, "It's about time.."

I agree.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    RE:
    Sorry with the rant, but this per coin pricing just made many owners of the sets very unhappy. TRUTH/I]

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reported that the grey sheet had problems, in an other thread. I heard that they are going to try to improve the pricing but when they are given proper information that do nothing to correct the error.??
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    water rises to its own level
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice original set will sell for what supply and demand says it should, as it always has been. The grey sheet values may or may not play a role. If collectors don't have interest in nicely matched original sets, then they will fall to individual coin pricing.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with RoadRunner.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad to see they broke out individual pricing on Classic Commems. This is something which was long overdue. I find their approach refreshing in making much needed improvements.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re ordered the subscription after a year without. No judgement can be made , yet.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pricing guides, like the Greysheet, are a reflection of the market, not the driver of the market. In the January 22 issue of the weekly Greysheet, the publishers respond to comments regarding pricing classic commems.

I also think it's about time that individual coins from sets are priced accordingly.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file