Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who were the QB/Punters I recall from my collection in grade school? Prize offered

Seasons Greetings Friends

I am losing my shirt on football betting today and looking forward to the start of the hockey games. I just lost $20 as I was certain Minnesota had a QB/Punter in 1980. This was a memory based on my football cards and, using ebay as a resource, was able to confirm that Greg Coleman was only a punter. So who was the guy(s) in those sets with the QB/Punter designation? I remember a guy named Pat on the Lions but my ebay google searches are not confirming. Your help would be much appreciated.

Your pal
jr

Comments

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Danny White was a QB - Punter

BTW - Greg Coleman is the current sidelines / locker room guy on Vikings Game day radio broadcasts. The Vikings have never had a QB - Punter player (that Ic an recall)
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    It wasn't 1980, but Randall Cunningham was the backup punter for Minnesota in 1998 - he had 8 punts that year.
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Cunningham also punted for the Eagles. I think he had a 90 yard punt one time.
  • Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Guys - I am thinking 1979/1980 Topps football and (perhaps) an NFC Central (not Bears) guy who had a card with the position QB/P. I thought it was Ed Murray or Greg Coleman but no. Danny White was definitely a QB/P but not the guy I was thinking. Pat something?

I will up the ante by offering a Dave Babych PSA 9 rookie card to whoever can help.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat McInally of the Bengals was a punter & wide receiver
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Well ... it wasn't in 1979. I just went over every team roster ... didn't find a one! (and no, I'm not interested in the Babych card. lol)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Dan Pastorini-Oilers?
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    If it helps any, according to Football-Reference, the only players that had at least 5 punts and 5 passes from 1978 to 1982 were:

Danny White

Terry Bradshaw

Bob Parsons

Herman Weaver

Tom Skladany

David Beverly

Danny White is the only one with a QB/P Topps card (that I could find).
  • Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    Didn't Bob Lee Quarterback and Punt for the early 70's Vikings??
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: firstbase23
    Didn't Bob Lee Quarterback and Punt for the early 70's Vikings??

Yes, that's correct. Bob Lee was a backup QB and punted too. He has a '72 Topps card.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somehow the name Pat Stillwell keeps jogging a memory. That's without Googling.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: galaxy27

Pat McInally of the Bengals was a punter & wide receiver

and didn't he help create/design the Kenner SLU figures as well?

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    In hindsight I guess I combined the position of Danny White with the team of Tom Skladany who shared the league leaders card with Pat McInally who was a P/Wide Receiver. Memory no longer serves like it once did. Galaxy27, please PM to receive your prize of a Dave Babych card who, coincidentally, just had his spot on the list of single season Power Play goals by a defenseman surpassed by some mutt on the Hurricanes.

Happy New Year boys

jr
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jrboles Galaxy27, please PM to receive your prize of a Dave Babych card who, coincidentally, just had his spot on the list of single season Power Play goals by a defenseman surpassed by some mutt on the Hurricanes.

Not necessary, my man, but I do appreciate the generous prize offering. Just knowing that I was able to put my wealth of relatively worthless 79-80T FB 411 to good use is reward enough. I've ogled far too many of those cards far too many times over the course of 3+ decades. lol
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gonzer

Somehow the name Pat Stillwell keeps jogging a memory. That's without Googling.

It was Pat Studstill for the Lions as punter/receiver but it was the 60's. Last player to not wear a facemask.