Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bought a couple Ancient coins today

I don't usually buy ancient coins, especially don't buy copper, but there is a 12 year old kid who sets up at our local coin shows. He wants to be a coin dealer and I usually try to buy something from him to encourage him. Today I bought these two ancients. I really don't know the value of them, I may have paid too much, if so, good for the kid. Any help in evaluation is appreciated.

Attributed by the seller.

#1 IMP Constantinus PF AVG Solis Invicto Comiti

#2 Constans PF AVG

Both coins are a darker brown than my images show.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done!

I recognize the Mint mark on the second piece.

TRE for Trier

I visit Constantine's throne room there last summer

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice pickups ajaan.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have an estimate on the value of these?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    $5-$10 each

Constantine dynasty bronze follises (follii?) are the most common ancient coins

that said they are the perfect introduction to the hobby image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    The top one is a London issue (PLN in the exergue is sort of merged into the end of "COMITI" of the legend; spacing was not always their strong suite). Typically, NiceCurrency is right, they are usually $5-10 coins a piece. The London pieces seem to go for a bit more, but you are talking like $1. Treveri is the same.

They are both nicely struck and fairly well centered. Depending on what the young man charged, I think you did okay.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Constantine I

IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG

Laureate, cuirassed bust right.

SOLI INVICTO COMITI

Sol standing left, raising hand and holding globe.

T/F/PLN

Issued: 310AD

Also, you can let him know that the reverse legend on the Constans is "VICTORIAE DD AVGG Q NN" which is a little less common. Epsilon is the control mark and TRP the mint mark from the Treveri Mint. AE4, issued 347-348AD. Aorta #1209.

Constans AE4

CONSTANS PF AVG

Diademed (pearls), draped and cuirassed bust, right.

VICTORIAE DD AVGG Q NN

Two victories standing, facing each other, each holding wreath and palm.

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice ancient coins. Very nice !!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    That's quite a coincidence. I too know a 12 year old accomplished collector, but who refuses to talk about his future plans, or at least if they will include numismatics, one way or another. I remember the first "real coin" that he got, a slabbed 1833 quarter drachma in MS64 ! I 've congratulated him and suggested to put it aside and keep it ,to remind him of these days in 30-40-50 years from now, let alone that the coin itself needed no upgrade at all. The only thing that escaped me, was that by the time I made the comment, he had already traded the coin for another, and the other for yet another with a bit of additional cash, so I was like commenting on the previous season's episodes. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3