Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Grading Tape on Cards

I picked up a T206 that has tape almost wrapped around the middle of the card. Would that grade a PSA 1 or PSA Authentic Only?

Comments

• Options
    Was it torn in half and tape back together? Pic here would help? Probably Authentic or Altered i'm guessing, then it could be' ungradeable' undetermined??

imageFrom the PSA grading Standards:
    N-0 Authentic Only - This means that PSA is only certifying that the item is genuine, without a numerical grade. This may be due to the existence of an alteration, one with malice or otherwise, a major defect or the original submitter may have requested that PSA encapsulate the card without a grade. The "Authentic" label means that the item, in our opinion, is real but nothing more.

AA Authentic Altered - This means that while PSA is certifying that the item is genuine, due to the existence of alterations, the item cannot receive a numerical grade. The term altered may mean that the card shows evidence of one or more of the following: trimming, recoloring, restoration, and/or cleaning. Items receiving the "Authentic Altered" designation, in our opinion, are genuine with the presence of some type of alteration. This is done on a case-by-case basis only, and must be notated on the submission form at the time of submission.

UNGRADEABLE CARDS:
    PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity. In addition, PSA does not grade autographed cards dated earlier than 1998 or any cards manufactured by Star except Star Baseball and 1996 Star Topps (reprint) Basketball Cards; only factory imprint signatures can be graded.
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    Here are images of the card-

• Options
    I seriously doubt it will get a 1 from PSA. Most likely the card will receive the graded Authentic / Altered. However, there is even a chance PSA will refuse to holder the card, and just return it to you w/ the N9. I've asked PSA before on the tape, and they said it's the grader's discretion on whether they holder it. However, I've usually gotten the cards holdered with the Authentic/Altered. However, never quite had that much tape.