Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Oddball 1960s/70s Pete Rose Cards--Any Info?

Recently picked up a collection from an old-time collector whose favorite player was Pete Rose.

I know what the story is with most of these, but a few are serious oddballs that I could use some help with.

1) Blank-backed 1970 that looks hand-cut--is this some sort of "proof" or "salesman's sample," or is it an after-market novelty?

2) Hand-cut card with the #3N1 on the bottom left--this looks like the 1968 Champion Corn Flakes football cards, but, after poking around online this morning, it seems like there is uncertainty concerning the provenance of the similar baseball cards (as well as the football cards that PSA currently slabs). There is one baseball card listed on eBay (Bobby Bonds), and this is a net54 thread concerning a lot of baseball cards that was up for sale through Legendary Auctions (and then pulled) in 2011 (thread).

Any information concerning those two cards would be appreciated!

Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Comments

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭
    "The 1968 Sports Illustrated Poster Baseball Cards were a promotional item that was issued by Sports Illustrated to stores that carried their magazines, along with the poster size 14" x 21" ad sheet order form. The cards measure 2 1/8" x 3 3/8" printed on thin "Cereal Box" like cardboard, and were attached to a single sheet of cards held on by 4 perforation tabs.

The numbers on the front of the card correspond with the inventory numbers for the posters as listed on the order form on the ad poster below. The posters are listed on the order form in Alphabetical order by team, and the first numbers 1-10 list the order of National League teams and the order of American League teams, followed by the prefix "N' for National League or "A" for American league, followed by the number of cards for that team. The back of the card is blank."
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, despite the fact that the football cards have been graded by PSA as "1968 Champion Corn Flakes", it doesn't appear that there is any evidence at all that they had anything to do with "Champion Corn Flakes", or that that cereal even existed.

BTW, I would have loved to see a picture of "Catfish Monday!" image

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I'd guess the 1970 to have been had-cut from a blank-back scrap sheet. Looks like the black ink was running low.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    2 of his rarest cards are the 1967 Dexter press and 1976 sugar daddy Nabisco #12.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    My guess is the 1970 card is O Pee Chee. There are a bunch of blank back hand cut cards like that from OPC. I have few 1970 with bad cuts like that laying around somewhere. Post a pic of the backside. OPC used a different card stock than Topps
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Now that I think about it, Rose doesn't have a OPC card in 1970, so it is Topps
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... where have you been? How the hell are you doing? Hope all is well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.