Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hobby Burnout

I have been struggling with the realization that I have become totally burned out from my baseball card collection. I have put so much time, energy, and finances into building my collection over the last 3 years and enjoyed every minute of it, until recently. Has anyone else ever "hit the wall" in their collecting efforts?

Right now, I am not sure if I will ever regain the collecting bug again. Only time will tell. I am focusing on putting my finances elsewhere and focusing on a more healthy lifestyle (diet and fitness-wise.) I still follow the forums here, but not with the intensity that I once did.

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame, but it happens. I'm almost autistic in my staying power with the same goals for year after year, because it makes me feel secure. But normal folks seem to ebb and flow. I bet with a couple of months away, and an hour looking through your collection, you would have renewed energy/interest.
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have gone through this a couple times over the 30 years I have collected. It usually stems from one of two things for me. Either my collecting starts to alienate me from my daily life because I become too consumed and use it as an escape from other issues, or I let the scope of my collection become too large. In both cases, I have found myself purging massive chunks of my collection and just keeping the very best-of-the-best items that represent my childhood dreams. Once I am able to pair the collection to just those items and free up cash, I always seem to find a better life balance and the tranquility the collecting was meant to provide. My humble advice would be to focus on the things that made your childhood dreams come true (in all aspects of life) and let go of everything else. Cleansing is part of the process and I have never regretted letting go of the other elements in the long run. For me, it has always come back to Jordan in the end.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Take a break from collecting.
  • Options
    John, it's too bad, but it happens. I expect/hope you'll get the bug back eventually.
  • Options
    Very healthy, in my unprofessional opinion. Involvement in a hobby will ebb and flow based on many outside influences. Relax would be my assessment...
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    In my case I AM on the autism spectrum (Asperger's to be exact) but in my case I do have another main hobby (retro video games, especially NES/SNES) and it seems I go back and forth between whether I'm more into cards or games. I also do certain kinds of books too...like the Cats Pauses (our main UK yearbook since 1980; I currently have 1985-2000, missing 1989) and Media Guides (I currently have 1983-98). Than can help keep one from getting too much in a stuck rut.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    I felt the exact same way you did this past fall. After spending all my extra finances and free time on this hobby for the last few years, I had to take a step back and regroup. It was becoming overwhelming because I didn't really have any goals. My basic collecting structure was collecting anything baseball from 1992 and older. I didn't really have a sound structure and before I knew it, I had my hand in about 20 different things and it started getting pretty overwhelming.

Also around this time when I was getting burned out, lots was going on in my personal life. A promotion at work, moving to a new city and state, and taking a couple of much needed family vacations. After being away from the hobby for about 5 months now though, I have the itch again and am looking to pick up where I left off on a couple of sets. The key for me is to remain focused on what I really want to work on, and not go completely crazy trying to complete 850,000 sets overnight. Things take time and this hobby needs to be fun and a healthy escape from reality now and then. Good luck to you and hope you find the itch to come back at some point.

Jim
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen many collectors enter and exit the hobby over the past 20 years since I started actively collecting again; some exit never to return, other will re-enter at a later time to start collecting again. I have been actively perusing unopened product pretty much every day for the past 20 years, without a break of longer than a day or two at most, but I am probably the exception rather than the rule, lol. For me, the hobby is an integral part of my being, as corny as that may sound.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Tim,

Do you think collecting mainly 1970's unopened and graded, basically staying within that decade and remaining focused on that specific goal most of all has helped your overall hobby longetivity? I know you collect coins and other things, but as far as cards go, do you think having clear cut goals like staying within a decade etc helps?

I understand to collect what you like etc, but that's an impressive run..20 years without burnout. I'd rather figure out certain tricks to avoid being burned out again in the future. It's a great hobby, and fills gaps.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    My problem is I focus on a certain part of the hobby but then after 4-5 years I get board and move on to something different. For instance I only collect unopened but I'm really considering moving to high grade PSA HOF'ers from the 70's. I guess you can call that burnout but im always after something hobby related that's for sure.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Its ok to step away. You may even find something else you enjoy more.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Gemyanks10
    Tim,

Do you think collecting mainly 1970's unopened and graded, basically staying within that decade and remaining focused on that specific goal most of all has helped your overall hobby longetivity? I know you collect coins and other things, but as far as cards go, do you think having clear cut goals like staying within a decade etc helps?

I understand to collect what you like etc, but that's an impressive run..20 years without burnout. I'd rather figure out certain tricks to avoid being burned out again in the future. It's a great hobby, and fills gaps.

I think one of the things that helps with collecting, actually two things, are as follows:

One - have a focus. Pick a player(s), set(s), year(s) that you enjoy and can be realistic about acquiring. If you go after T206 cards with limited funds it might burn our real quick from frustration. I know when I was younger and trying to acquire every Johnny Bench card it was fun because he was my favorite player, and it was an attainable and affordable goal. Later on I collected high grade Ted Williams cards (PSA 8 and above) and amassed numerous examples of 1954's, 1955's, 1956, 57... Did very well and most of them doubled or tripled in value I a short time, and I was able to sell off duplicated to pick up things I needed with the profits. I got out about 2000 or so do to the market getting soft, dealers getting *****ly, love goals changed(married, new house, kids...)

I collected but nowhere near what I used to do and skipped the National for about 10 years or so. When my youngest was about 7 we started doing it together and he enjoyed it and loved vintage stuff so we got into it together. Just this evening we cracked open a 1990 Leaf box just for fun.

Two - have a few things you like to collect that are different. At times things get slow, so when one hobby or desire slows down or dried up for a while do the other one. I have started collecting Jordan shoes new in the box, and they are pretty neat to display and have around. Price is decent ($200-300 a pair), and it allows me to chase something new and different if/when cards are dry. Just make it something you enjoy and it will stay new and fun.
  • Options
    I think burnout is relatively common, and I echo what others have said to just step away from the hobby for a while, and see what happens. I would say don't sell your collection during this time unless you need the funds. If after a while, if you still have no interest in resuming the hobby, then you can start selling off your collection or just keeping it as a memento.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    A lot of great ideas and insight!

"Collecting" is a marathon not a sprint!

I treat it as a life-long goal.

There are times when I feel like selling off my collection but I know I will regret it so I just take a step back and stop buying for a short period and that usually helps. I would agree with "collectoratwork", don't sell your collection until you know for sure that's what you want to do.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    It's common. One way to stay in and keep from getting burned out is to focus on one or two projects only and not let them consume too much of your time. Have some downtime? Peruse eBay for some cards you need in the set/project. If you miss out on some good deals it's not the end of the world.

I've taken a couple breaks from burnout. I got back in about a year and a half ago and jumped in buying all sorts of things to get a decent idea of a good project and some direction with the hobby for me. Now that I have it narrowed down to one set I can sub a few cards here and there, open a few packs every once in awhile, and it's kept me from burning out, yet.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I feel the same way. I collected as a kid, took a break for a good 10-15 years while I did other things, then started up again about 20 years ago. The past several years I've just realized that I'm not interested in collecting anymore. Not just cards, but really anything. I feel like collecting is this millstone of stuff around my neck, taking up space, creating false attachments and memories tied to objects. The last bulk of my football card collection is being sold in January and then I'll be mostly finished liquidating my card collection. I've also been purging rare and signed books and other stuff I've been holding on to. Time to move on.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses and advice, guys. I am planning a nice healthy break from actively building my collection. I have not added anything new for almost a month, and I feel great about it. I hope the fire comes back, but I am willing to sit on the sidelines for as long as it takes. I plan on still being a part of the CU community, but more in the background. I have made a lot of great hobby friends, so I hope to keep in touch.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmaciu - I just decided to join you. I have been too consumed over the past few years in the hobby. I'm going to spend the next month planning how to reduce what I have in my collection.

I still plan to follow the boards, but I need to make this a casual hobby again. I'm done buying any modern product to rip, except maybe for Topps Chrome Football if it still exists in 2016.
    Mike
  • Options
    Might be wise to get out of the house for awhile when your collection develops its own collection. Dust.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its healthy to take a break from acquiring cards and just enjoy what you have sometimes.

I took a 3 year break from the hobby, but once in a while I would get out my Stargell basic set and just enjoy looking at the cards. Or my Brett cards or whatever.

Sometimes just the accumulating of what you want can take over and you don't really enjoy what you have already accumulated.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.