Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Anyone In The Market For An 1877 Shield Nickel Grading PCGS-PR67CAM With A Nice Pedigree?

A friend of mine is selling this coin in the Heritage FUN sale (Tampa) with No Reserve. Lot # 4758 with a current bid of $1,600 plus buyers fee.

"Description

1877 Shield Nickel, PR67 Cameo
Tied for Finest Graded
Ex: Childs Collection

1877 5C PR67 Cameo PCGS. Ex: Childs. The meager quotient of proofs struck -- various pundits pose various quantities, none large -- of the 1877 Shield nickel is under continuous date pressure as the proof-only key to the series, and one of only two such issues from 1866 to 1883, along with the 1878 issue, struck in a larger amount put at 2,350 pieces. (The 2016 Guide Book quotes 900 for the 1877; Bowers' series Guide Book guesses at 1,250 to 1,500 pieces, but notes that struck exceeding 900 or so were done "off the books.") In any case, the present PR67 Cameo PCGS coin is among the highest-graded survivors of the issue, regardless of contrast level -- one of only eight such submissions at PCGS. The finest non-Cameo examples at PCGS are a handful of PR66 pieces. The silver-gray surfaces show a nice sharp strike with good contrast and a hint of golden patina. A small planchet flaw appears on the reverse between UNITED and STATES, as struck, a future pedigree ID. Population: 8 in 67 Cameo, 0 finer (11/15).
Believed to have been purchased from the Mint by Walter H. Childs; Walter Childs Collection (Bowers and Merena, 8/1999), lot 114."

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.