Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Howell Works scrip copy

This is a litho copy lacking detail of genuine engraved note.

bad fake
Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    image it is an ugly copy. Did you report this to eBay?
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, even though it seemed pretty Grinch-like to do this on Christmas.

We'll see if they remove it.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    If you read it, it is a public service announcement.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    "This particular note has been in my family for generations, as I found it while cleaning out some things from my great grandfather who was born around 1870." Ha!
    My website: RICurrency.com
  • Options
    OK, I don't feel guilty now.

Ebay pulled it, the seller relisted it with some new lie about his ancestor receiving this note in pay, so I reported it again.

Howell Works copy

I sent him the below message, too.

I don't doubt that you live near the former Howell Works but this note is an obvious copy. I sell these for a living, so when copies are sold through the same venue, it hurts my business. If you keep listing it here, I will keep on reporting it as a copy. I posted a thread on the Collectors Universe paper money discussion board and several other members reported it to Ebay, too. Ebay wouldn't pull it, as they did, unless it IS a copy, so please don't try to dispute this point. If you relist it here they will pull this note again and again and eventually ban you from listing.
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Pulled again!
  • Options
    It took two emails but I got a positive response that made it all worthwhile. I have to credit this seller for being more reasonable and intelligent than most.

"Dear sellitstore,

Hi Russell,

Thank you for taking the time to explain my error and for saving me the embarrassment of possibly selling a fraudulent item. I apologize for my mistake and for my initial pig-headedness - I made the wrongful assumption that, since it was old, it could not possibly be a reproduction. After hearing from you and Ebay yesterday, I consulted a local currency dealer (a neighbor of Allaire State Park, the current site of Howell Works) who told me essentially the same thing that you have said. He pointed me to an authentic note and the differences are obvious. I have owned a number of authentic Civil War era fractionals that came from my same family members and the coloring and detail were amazing and beautiful., I just assumed that the government was able to make such nice notes while a company such as Howell was able to get away with lesser quality.

I appreciate people like you who take the time to help people like myself who know so little about currency. I was hesitant to spend the money for authentication when I did not expect much in an auction, and the quality books on the topic are more than I wanted to spend since I only had one note of this nature. Thank you so much for your help and for stopping me from making a mistake I would certainly have regretted.

Best wishes for a great New Year,

xxxxx, xxxxx

- hebrews1325
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Good outcome!
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • Options
    Very good outcome... and I'm sure you let him know about this forum. Notes in question can always be posted for best guess....
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    wow are you sure you didn't write that response ??. I appreciate a seller who wishes to correct rather than deceive.
  • Options
    TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

I have never received a response from anyone on Ebay that I was trying to HELP, that even approaches the kindness in the response you posted.

Hopefully it was genuine!
  • Options
    BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Although most of my responses have been negative or neutral, there have been some that were positive. One has even called on me a few times to ask about a potential posting.

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• Options
    I agree, was good to hear that an eBay seller would do such a 'mea culpa'; seems like he was trying to do the right thing. image
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired