Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does Collectors Universe grade more cards or more coins?

I honestly have no idea about this.....

Does PSA grade more cards than PCGS grades coins?

Shane

Comments

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect coins and don't know how many they do over there. My guess would be coins as I believe the revenue generated through grading cards is a fraction of what they do in coins.
    Steve
  • jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has graded over 30 million coins. PSA just hit over 25 million cards

So far- coins.

Jeff
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, regular service for grading a coin is $32 plus $18 handling fee plus shipping and there are no monthly specials where you can submit coins for a discounted rate, so gross revenue generated by coin submissions is easily about 8x greater than cards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15

Also, regular service for grading a coin is $32 plus $18 handling fee plus shipping and there are no monthly specials where you can submit coins for a discounted rate, so gross revenue generated by coin submissions is easily about 8x greater than cards.

Not sure how you could possibly come up with 8x. It says $16 for modern coins (1965+), and $10 handling per order.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2

Originally posted by: grote15

Not sure how you could possibly come up with 8x. It says $16 for modern coins (1965+), and $10 handling per order.

Vast majority of coins submitted to PCGS are not in that category, though, as value of coins from that era is typically not worth the grading fee, unless it is for modern mint releases with with the FS designation, in which case the additional fee is $18.. Here is a list of PCGS grading fees.

http://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

It has been stated here before and is confirmed by CU's annual financial reports that vast majority of revenue generated by submissions is on the PCGS side of the company. 8x was a rough estimate; may very well be less, but it still multiple times greater than PSA fees, without question, both in quantity and revenue per submission.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.