Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Anyone like Italian States coins?

These images are courtesy of Todd Pollock of BlueCC. There were a couple of coins from the batch that he had problems imaging. To be fair, some of these coins are actually very difficult to image. One of the coins I will need to be re-shot (never mind why), but overall I am very pleased with his work.

This first coin I recently showed in a different thread. It's a very lustrous, lightly toned crown-sized Filippo from Milan (dated 1676, Dav-4005) in choice condition. What made this coin tough to image is that the planchet isn't a well-made flat disc. The workmanship of the coiners did not result in a nicely finished product. Todd's image captured the obverse double strike as well as the non-planar contours of this specimen. It's a coin that is easy to dislike at first blush, but is in fact the finest graded for the type by PCGS and NGC.

This second coin is a choice 1/2 Ducato from the reign of Charles I of Spain, who was also Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor. This coin was issued between 1554-56 from the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily, and is actually nicely struck for the issue. It is also nicely toned and very flashy.

The third coin is also from the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily, a 50 Grana (1/2 Crown) from the reign of Charles II of Spain. Dated 1693. This choice coin is blast white, with lots of frost on both the fields and the devices. The "watermark spots" at 10 o'clock by the obverse periphery is actually from a rough die area causing excessive frosty texture. The spot on the reverse near the center (just below the 6 in the date) is probably residue from an old catalog plating.

For anyone who's tried to image his own coins, you'll discover how hard it is to do a good job with hot (polished surfaces) and cold (frost) spots so dramatically intermixed.

This next (fourth) coin is a 1/2 Piastra from the sixth year of the papacy of Innocent XI (1676-89). This issue from the Papal States is very choice, and colorful and rare in such high grade and with such nice eye appeal.

The fifth coin is a superb gem Testone, dated 1684 and also from the papacy of Innocent XI. This coin has a knockout look to it.

The sixth coin is another choice coin from the Papal States, a Piastra dated 1684 (again, Innocent XI). It is a bit darker in hand, dripping with originality and deep color. Dav-4095.

The seventh coin is a gem 1/2 Piastra from the fourth year of the papacy of Clement XII (1730-40). On this coin, they must have used a roller press because the coin is a tiny bit curled that imparted a stretched look to the devices.

(The insert on this coin says 1724, but it really should be 1734.)

The next (eight) coin is a near gem 5 Paoli (1/2 Crown) piece from Tuscany, with dripping originality and light gray patina.

The ninth coin is a Ducato from Venice from the rule of Doge Alvise II Mocenigo (1700-1709). This is actually a choice coin, despite the image suggesting otherwise. It is untoned, and slightly concave down (i.e., the obverse is slightly convex, and reverse concave), with the fields both polished and frosty (the polished portions giving a rubbed look) and the devices having a similar look due to the presence of spots of flat strike on select high points. In hand, you'll see that this is an immensely flashy coin. Dav-1527.

The tenth coin is a near gem Tallero from Venice from the rule of the final Doge of Venice: Ludovico Manin (1789-97), who was forced to abdicate by Napoleon. Dated 1789, this coin has tremendous cartwheel luster (not so apparent in the image) and only very light haymarking that is common on these coins. Very rare in such high grade. Dav-1575.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Nice group of coins! BTW, the mezza piastra of Innocent XI is of his seventh, not sixth, year.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Iosephus
    Nice group of coins! BTW, the mezza piastra of Innocent XI is of his seventh, not sixth, year.

Thanks, and yes I know the mezza piastra is from his seventh year. I noticed it afterwards, but didn't feel like editing (because of the annoying formatting issues) and I also wanted to see who was paying attention.

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Lovely baroque papal indeed. I really like the coinage of Innocent XI and these are very nice examples. Despite the limited range of types after the monetary reform, the die cutters seem to have been given great latitude in interpretation, most of which are quite striking. For instance, one of my mezzos has the same basic design elements as your year 7, but has a very different, pure baroque slant (pun intended) and a more relaxed feeling obverse:

I've posted about my favs, the Melius testones, before and yours is one of the much less common varieties with the arabic date on the top of the obverse. The date on these always struck me as an afterthought, tucked into spaces available at the top. Apparently this was not thought to be a satisfactory solution since only 5 of the 90 or so Muntoni varieties of the type used this approach.

While relatively common, its interesting to note that the 1684 Piastra has incredible historical significance and can almost be thought of as a double commem. The reverse legend (thy right hand O Lord has struck the enemy) is a variation of Psalm 88:11 and was first used on a medal after Lepanto. In addition, the siege and battle of Vienna occurred in late 1683 so use of the legend again seems most appropriate in acknowledging the deliverance of the west while tying the two events - separated by a century - together.

Finally, I'm not exactly sure why, but Clement XI and Clement XII seem to be not uncommonly confused, leading to misdating of the latter, especially when only the regal date is present. Since Clement XII was installed in July 1730 year IV could be either 1733 or 1734.

Thanks again for sharing these wonderful coins. What fun!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins EVP. The 1st one indeed has some doubling and field marks yet compared to others of this type is super sharp as others are very weakly struck. There seems to always be a tradeoff when selecting tougher type coins.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments, especially the supplemental information from STLNATS.

Zohar, I'm a bit surprised you didn't comment on my Tuscany coin. Its portrait is of Pietro Leopoldo, a Habsburg.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly didn't know that. I like all of these a lot.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pieces EVP. I love the mint Papal State pieces in particular.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Stunning group. Thanks!