Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Disturbing UK Shipping News

After following up on why an item I successfully bid upon was designated no-fly, I received the following from the vendor:
I have spoken to Royal Mail and the information they have given me is that the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) deemed your parcel unsuitable to fly hence it is now on its way to the USA by ship (Surface Mail). The lady I spoke to at Royal Mail suggested this may be due to the metal content of the item but as Royal Mail and the CAA do not keep individual records of each item no further information is available, The parcel will take up to six weeks to arrive and its tracking status will be updated when it arrives in the USA.

We can apply for compensation after 25 working days if the parcel has not arrived however there is no guarantee our claim will succeed as the CAA made the decision.

Note the possible implication that I would not be reimbursed if the parcel is lost.
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    wow. what to say to that.
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    That's horrible. Can you share what the metal content is of the item?
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. It's a coin, not a musket ball. No explanation available is very annoying. Still the item has a tracking number so I would imagine it would have to turn up or be declared lost and compensated eventually.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver. 77 mm. I do not know the weight.

DPOTD
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is it'll get to you... eventually, in the new year. Bummer that it's to take so long, but I wouldn't write it off as a loss.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • That's a good way to get no one to do business with your country
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the shipping dept. filled out the Customs form incorrectly or illegibly. Postal officials are just following their policies and have no idea of the contents of the parcel.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least they are being conciliatory about it. Unlike the people at Hohn, in Germany, who STILL will not answer my queries about what happened to a purchase from November 11. After December 30, if that package has not arrived, I will see what I can do about accelerating the matter.

DPOTD