Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Heritage 1847 Treasury Note

I have a quick question for Heritage. They have an ultra-rare issued Treasury Note of 1847 in the upcoming FUN auction. But this would be the second issued note known to collectors after 1812 and before the Civil War that they have sold, right?
This one was sold in 2005 and while it is cancelled, I had previously believed it to be the only surviving issued example from the post-1812 pre-Civil War era.

Also, I would love to post the image up on the Treasury Note wikipedia page.

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would appear that Heritage made a mistake in their description and this note does not have the unique status claimed in the current Heritage catalog. They probably meant to claim that this is the only UNREDEEMED, issued note from this period. The Ford example sold in 2005 was redeemed but not even mentioned in the current Heritage description. There may even be additional issued and cancelled examples still out there, but it appears that this one is the only 1847 Treasury note that is still legally redeemable currency.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Much thanks! and that makes sense. It is the only unredeemed example I have heard of between the War of 1812 Issues and the Civil War.