Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

City of providence one cent

Hello,
I just found this note in a lot that I got. I'm more world notes collector, and I will be happy if somebody can tell me what is this note.
note
Thanks
Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.

Comments

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Possibly a coupon to an 1854 bond out of New York.
  • Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    These one cent notes were labels from bottles of Perry Davis & Son Painkillers. I believe they come in three different sizes. Yours, like mine, is dated January 1, 1854.

Here is a good article about Davis.

My website: RICurrency.com
  • Options
    great info, always learn something around here
  • Options
    Thank you very much, very interesting!
    Why would they put this kind of label on a bottle of a pain killer?
    Looking for:

• Options
    A discount is a discount; everybody love a coupon. Besides, probably generated more sales with it than without it. image
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was neither a discount nor a coupon. The obligation reads exactly as a merchant scrip note. From Perry Davis, they come in three sizes, each used on different sized bottles. They are nearly always damaged or stained to some degree from being glued to a bottle. Alex1176's example is unusually nice quality and looks like it maybe a proof, which would account for it's lack of use. They are very rarely found intact and attached to bottles, as cinch's example.

Hostettler Bitters issued a similar 1 cent note at about the same time and also used it as a label, but it technically an obsolete scrip note.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Thank you.
    What do you think the value of this note?
    Thanks
    Looking for:

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $25-$50.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.