Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Severus Alexander Markianopolis Provincial?

Hello all, I was wondering if I could get some help.

Since it is the Christmas season, I have been working on organizing and cleaning after my move since dollars are in short supply due to Santa taking them all. To my surprise, as I was emptying a box from my recent move, I found a bronze coin with no receipt, no id and zero information in general about it. So I decided to give myself a total headache and work for four hours on identifying this coin.

After eliminating Elagabalus and any other emperors, I finally think I have the ID down.

Unfortunately, the pics are the best I could do, not because of my distinct lack of photography skills, but because the coin is a combination of worn and has some light corrosion.

AE26

Provincial Roman Empire: Markianopolis

Severus Alexander

221 - 222AD Caesar

222 - 235AD Augustus

25mm

O: AVK M AVP CEVH ALEXANDROC; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.

R: HG OVM TEREBENTINOU MARKIANOPOLEITWN; Hygieia standing right, feeding snake from patera.

Magistrate: Umbrius Tereventinus

Markianopolis Mint

AMNG 1028; Mionnet Supp. 2, 289; Leake Supp. 133, Moushmov 724.

If anyone else can make out anything and offer some insights, I would gladly accept them. It was a very good feeling to finally figure out that I was looking at an ALEXANDROC and not an ANTWIENOC after the first two hours, lol.

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I'd say you've probably got it right. The pics are a bit blurry, but I can make out the CEVH on the obverse quite clearly, and the TINOU on the reverse, so odds are good you've got it correct. The fabric and style is certainly like that of many other coins from Markianopolis.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Thanks a bunch, Josh! I know the pictures are sucko, and frankly the coin is not that much better in hand. In general, provincials give me such frustration that I usually put them down right away because I get so mad. This was definitely a victory. Thanks for your confirmation. It's a good feeling coming from you. :-)